[Fis] Gordana's Agency Note

Marcus Abundis 55mrcs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 10:04:59 CET 2024

Dear Gordana, et al,

< But then one may ask: what must a physical system be such that it can act
on its own behalf? . . . minimal molecular autonomous agent: such a system
. . . >

Indeed!
Interestingly, this ties my 1 January post, just beforee this FIS session –
FIS archive (but is now copied below, in addition to Jorge’s note).

To me, your five points seem to define 'agency’, where the language of your
post may suggest something more-reductive (molecular): ’proto-agency’ – is
THAT your meaning?!

Forgive me if I seem to 'twist’ your meaning (not intended) . . . but such
proto-agency is what I tried to evoke as most-base 'adaptive logic’ . . .
where simple mechanical preservation of base molecular form would initiate
adaptive logic. That base molecular/mechanical self-preserved 'form’ might
then serve as *one* constituent in fully realized agency. Following Jorge’s
note, my view was more 'engineering’ in nature, as a most-base mechanical
Life/agent precursor.

Regardless, our interests may be parallel, alongside Stuart and Andrea’s
argued-for 'transition in science' . . . where I have raised related points
(re function, and selection) in another post. But I see all here as related
. . . in targeting a 'New Kind of Science' (with apologies to S. Wolfram).

Marcus

==
Dear colleagues,

Allow me to propose one more facet of life that adds to the central theme
of Kantian Wholes: autonomous agency. Living organisms are "agential"
materials, as Michael Levin puts it. They possess cognition, have agendas,
and act purposefully.
This is how agency is explained by Stu in [1], and similarly in [2]:

"It is a stunning fact that the universe has given rise to entities that
daily modify the universe to suit their own ends. We call this capacity
'agency' — the ability to act on one's own behalf."

But then one may ask: what must a physical system be such that it can act
on its own behalf?
We propose a tentative five-part definition of a minimal molecular
autonomous agent: such a system
should be capable of reproduction with heritable variation,
should perform at least one work cycle and have boundaries such that it
can be naturally individuated,
should engage in self-propagating work and constraint construction, and
should be able to choose between at least two alternatives.

(I reformatted the sentence into the numbered list).