[Fis] "express matter and energy in terms of information"--Cheese

Mariusz Stanowski stanowskimariusz at wp.pl
Wed Feb 14 10:51:55 CET 2024

Dear Pedro,

I find your elaboration of Krassimir's question very aptly pointing out
the difficulty of getting to the essence of things and understanding the
objects themselves in an increasingly complex world of human
concepts/information. The more of this information we have to deal with,
the more and more difficult it is for us to distinguish between the more
and the less relevant, being further and further meta-reflections of
that object. It is also increasingly difficult to find common features
for all this information, that is, information that succinctly define
the object. Therefore, I believe that if we want to understand something
we should focus on the fundamental information, i.e. the set of the
smallest number of concepts sufficient to distinguish/define the object.
This is the principle I tried to follow in the just published article
that defines information and complexity at the fundamental level.
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/01655515231203644*core-collateral-purchase-access__;Iw!!D9dNQwwGXtA!T32AiE6UmQl-7n70JaaD2Z8MkqW19WQsVpbwk065JHpDk-lBrAiFGUO1bbWk5PVAYYGnnhnXoVC70zzLMwlGJJWPuR6f$
Information is understood here either as an Aristotelian form or form of
energy (it is worth noting that information is a generalization of the
concept of form-shape to all other characteristics of objects), or
technically (Shannon) as an element of a collection. Complexity, on the
other hand, is here the equivalent of information compression (in the
broadest sense).
The article was intentionally written in a somewhat provocative form to
draw attention to the misconceptions arising from a lack of
understanding of these key concepts, even among well-known authorities.
An example of this is Shannon's universal attribution of
natural/physical properties to information on the basis of similarity to
thermodynamics where we deal only with collections of gas particles,
while other physical objects/processes are not collections but complex
structures and systems.
I can send PDF of the paper if you are interested.

Best regards
Mariusz