[Fis] CONCLUDING THE SESSION

钟义信 zyx at bupt.edu.cn
Tue Nov 28 02:14:02 CET 2023

Dear Pedro and dear All,

Thank you for having organized the FIS discussion on the topic of "paradigm change in AI" and thank many of FIS colleagues for having made various contributions to the discussion, which is obviously beneficial to us.

Let me say, if allowed, a few words before closing the discussion. The purpose of the discussion is to remind us that since the target of AI research (the information ecological process produced by subject-object interaction) has been greatly different from that of physical science (objective matter only), the paradigm for AI research should also greatly be different from the paradigm for physical science research.

The major differences between th paradigm for AI and that for physical science include (but not limited to) the methodology for the two disciplines. The methodology for physical science research consists of the principles of "formalism" and "divide and conquer" and yet the methodology for AI research consists of the principles of "non formalism" and "non divide and conquer". The differences in methodology between AI and Physical science are so great!

The "non divide and conquer" means "no dismembering" and the "non formalism" means "no castrating". On the whole, the methodology with the principles of "no dismembering" and "no castrating" is termed "the methodology of information ecology".

Such great changes in methodology (and scientific world-view)  may be very hard to accept. But it may gradually be understandable and acceptable.

To  solve the fatal problems related to GPT series needs the "paradigm change in AI".  However, this maybe a time consuming process.

I have learned a lot from you through the FIS discussion and would like to continue to learn from FIS friends and colleagues in the future. Thank you again !

My best wishes,

Yixin Zhong

Prof at AI School, BUPT
Beijing 100876, China