[Fis] [External Email] Re: entropy

Stanley N Salthe ssalthe at binghamton.edu
Sun Jan 10 16:34:26 CET 2021

Marcus -- Here I reply to your latest contribution to this discussion of
entropy:

M: Stan – What you are now suggesting

> It is a formal matching only is far different from your earlier

> Entropy applies everywhere, and always in the same way.<

      S: Wrong! The entropy concept is a formal intellectual construct. It
happens

           that it is so generally applicable in the world that one could
assert that it

          ‘it applies everywhere’

M: Base differences between formal (conceptual) and practical

(empiric) roles, I believe, are equally well-known to careful

readers in physics. For example, *theoretical* physics uses

‘E’ as a generic expression of energy, with no reference to

any of the 16 accepted forms of energy, as in E = mc^2 . . .

‘F’ for a generic expression of force with no reference to any

of the four fundamental forces as in F = ma.

       S:  OK....

M: As such, these conceptual views are wholly removed from

classic *empiric* concepts. It is due to this imprecision in

any theoretical view that things must be *empirically*

verified – which then makes it a ‘science’. Yes, I can understand

why you would wish to pass on commenting further on physics.

      S: ?

M: That said, the same applies to vague formal references to

*everything* everywhere having a statistical (entropic) nature.

I am not sure this comment has much ‘meaning’ (pun wholly

intended) – as Shannon and Weaver plainly saw.

      S: I'm afraid I cannot fathom what point(?s) you are trying to make
here.

STAN