[Fis] The 10 Principles

Pedro C. Marijuan pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es
Tue Sep 15 14:37:51 CEST 2020

Dear FIS Colleagues,

As promised I bring a new version of the 10 info principles (IPs). Just
the first two ones.

Previously I briefly comment on Marcus. My impression is that,
notwithstanding an attractive & suggestive couple of points, what he is
crafting somehow reminds me the Peircean reinterpretation of Laws of
Nature.  Given that only Objects and Interactions --Os and Ss-- are
considered, and this is done putting together into the same sac
fermions, genes, agents, people, etc. the origins of meaning in the
"animate" are automatically lost, unless we assume a
pan-pysicalist-pan-psychist stance, I think.  So I would have trouble
with this point as such (one has to see the whole scheme and how "bio"
or "neuro" are entered specifically). The B principle can be taken with
less caveats, I think, and it looks bold and very direct although
perhaps it is rather linked to the anthropocentric view & agency (like
Yixin's views, at least in my opinion).  Of course, I do not pretend to
get the two beers, for in any case I prefer wine & tapas... once the
rest of the points are seen.

Then I return to my own IPs.  I had the opportunity to discuss them in
the Saturday Conference organized by our colleague Wukun plus Yixin and
others. An interesting experience. As you have seen in Krassimir's and
Marcin's messages, hopefully we will have a specific FIS participation
in IS4SI virtual meeting... So here there are those two points:

*1. Information is distinction on an /adjacent /difference.*

**

*2. Information processes consist in organized action upon differences
collected onto structures, patterns, sequences, messages, or flows.*

Here, the *distinction* term refers to the capabilities of the subject
or informational entity that is engaged in the exploration of events or
signals in its immediate environment. The subject extracts logical
distinctions out from the differences in the materiality of those
events. A minimalist scheme of distinctional logic based on
multidimensional partitions can be applied, as was discussed by this
author (Marijuán et al., 1998). It is based on the logic of
multidimensional partitions developed by Karl Javorsky, explaining how
finally a consistent skeleton of logical “distinctions” may be obtained
out from the elements composing the difference detected or interacted by
the subject.

The guiding idea is that, by following that logic (in itself based on a
few principles), one can apply “multidimensional partitions” as formal
descriptors of the discrete messages or the signalling flows. And that
skeleton of partitions is what “receiving the information” preliminarily
implies along this restricted communication logics. It is about how the
informational entity may create streams of relationships associated to
the material differences in the impinging signalling flows or discrete
messages.

The *adjacent* term refers to the physical contact to be achieved
between the signalling event and the subject, and the need by the latter
of counting with sensory elements or with excitatory surfaces to be
physically impinged upon by the incoming signals. In living cells,
information arrives via particles, molecules, atoms, photons, or phonons
that impinge on specialized receptors. It is the same in all sensory
surfaces of nervous systems.Increasing the adjacency, extending the
territory covered by the communication processes with the environment is
a formidable drive of biological evolution: cellular pili, flagella,
cilia, arborisation of axons and dendrites, the neuronal multiplicity of
sensors and receptors, specialized maps, sensing modalities, etc. By all
means, adjacency is increased to the maximum supported by the biological
system. We may notice something similar in human societies about the
artifacts, means of communication, and scientific-technological
apparatuses that transcend the immediate adjacency of subjects in the
complex information flows of contemporary societies. By transcending the
limits of immediate space-time adjacency, and creating *channels* that
carry differences to build ad hoc distinctions, subjects may perform a
myriad of further distinction extractions and cognitive operations
(think of telescopes, microscopes, telegraph, etc.). By the way,
curiously "channel" in the Shanonian scheme represents also that which
brings information to the adjacency of the receiver.

By the way: addenda to pont two for Krassimir: *data result from the
measurement of an action* (or of an aggregate of multiple actions, or
surrogates of actions).

Best wishes to all

--Pedro

Pedro C. Marijuán