[Fis] Fwd: The 10 Principles

Jose Javier Blanco Rivero javierweiss at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 14:15:01 CEST 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
De: Jose Javier Blanco Rivero <javierweiss en gmail.com>
Date: mar, sep 15, 2020 12:14
Subject: Re: [Fis] The 10 Principles
To: Pedro C. Marijuan <pcmarijuan.iacs en aragon.es>

Dear Pedro,
Dear FISers Colleagues,

In general terms, I agree with both principles. However, there are two
issues I would like to raise. The first is a caveat referring to a source
of potential criticism (a). And the second is a distinction with the
potential to contribute to both principles (b).

(a) The following statement "*...the distinction term refers to the
capabilities of the subject or informational entity that is engaged in the
exploration of events or signals in its immediate environment.*" implies
some ontological and epistemological principles that should be avoided (in
fact, I think we should avoid ontology and epistemology altogether, but
that is another discussion).  The vulnerability of the former statement
consists in that it can only account for the "nature" of the *distinction*
but in metaphysical terms. I mean, if you ask: What sort of thing is a
distinction so that it belongs to a subject's "capabilities" and at the
same time it can be extracted by this very subject from its environment? I
cannot think but of a sort of substratum involving, embracing,
circumscribing both, the subject and its environment. And if the nature of
this substratum were to be accounted for, we would end up in an endless
recursive loop.
I believe that a distinction is an inherently associative operation which
can only be accounted for without contradictions at the abstraction level
of the system (be it social, biological or whatever). Distinctions can be
performed as system's operations because of the differences between system
and environment, namely, because there is a difference between
self-organization of whatever kind (thermodynamical, biological,
sociological) and a complex environment populated by every sort of
perturbation. We can think of differences in pressure and temperature
between a biological boby and the atmosphere, we can think of differences
in prices that drive investors from one country to another, we can think of
differences in legal regulations from one country to another that allow the
formation of dubious international commerce networks, and so forth.
But how can we explain the differences of differences, I mean how
differences are themselves organized so that we can straightforwardly
distinguish between the realms of the physical, the chemical, the
biological, the social. I believe that the distinction between medium and
environment can help us out. And that is my second point.

(b) The concept of medium sheds light on the issue we raised before. How
are the differences of differences structured? This question equals that of
how redundancy is organized, and as is well known, redundancy is related to
information. I argue that information is relative to a determined medium;
that media, by themselves, are information sources (I can provide you with
better arguments if you follow this link:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0040162518316160).
Information in the medium of public opinion is different from information
in the medium of power (see Luhmann's book entitled Power for this -there
is an English translation along with his writings about Trust). Information
in the public opinion is guided by the concept of "news", novelty and even
scandal. However from the standpoint of some power structure, only the
differences in resources and influence between the members of the power
network (or power circuitry as I like to call it) are informative. Power
and public opinion organize redundancy in different ways although both of
them "live" within the environment of the political system. I could go on,
but the subject is rather large. In short, there are environments, but the
environment describes in very broad terms the constraints surrounding some
system. However, media are a much more specific constraint quite relevant
for the study of information.

Best,

JJ