[Fis] Note to Francesco

Marcus Abundis 55mrcs at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 13:55:58 CEST 2020

Francesco,

>From your post, roughly translated:
> it is not so onto-logical to see information as limited to biological
life in the strict sense.<

I am unsure of what you mean here . . . still, this discussion of `primary
and secondary’, or contrasts in animate and in-ainmate matter – is ironic
in claiming Life is primary, the main/only informatic consideration.

The irony is that this glosses over our ONLY accepted scientific theory of
information – Shannon Signal Entropy. Signal Entropy shows information as
in-animate bits and wave forms. To next claim a similar role for Life,
requires an exact/clear mapping of Signal Entropy and Life Entropy (the
later is not even a defined term?!) I am unsure if such maps exist; please
correct me if I am wrong. I know of MEPP (maximal entropy producing
principle) but this requires a *closed* system, where Life stipulates
*open* systems. Thus, I think most people argue INTUITIVELY for
entropy-like roles in Life, cellular mechanics, etc. – but with NOTHING
precisely defined or mapped (no unified theory exists – hence, endless FIS
debate). I do not think a precise mapping of Signal Entropy and
Thermodynamic Entropy (another closed system) even exists. The 'two
entropies’ are instead *intuitively* related as similar mathematic forms.
It is for their entropic 'un-reconciled-ness’ that Shannon and Weaver call
information theory a 'disappointing and bizarre’ concept.

This irony deepens when one considers the Standard Model of particle
physics, and the periodic table – both in-animate informatic expressions,
and both Life precursors.

If we are to speak of or propose an *actual* information SCIENCE we need to
move beyond intuitive notions and arguments. Of course, we begin with
intuition, pre force, but only as a starting point – moving beyond
intuition is the essence of science. If not, we would never have seen
beyond a geocentric cosmos and a 'flat earth’.

Marcus