[Fis] [Fwd:Re: Short article by Chaitin on information incompleteness]--J. Brenner

Pedro C. Marijuan pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es
Wed Oct 28 12:35:36 CET 2015

----- Original Message -----
*From:* Joseph Brenner <mailto:joe.brenner at bluewin.ch>
*To:* John Collier <mailto:Collierj at ukzn.ac.za> ; fis
<mailto:fis at listas.unizar.es>
*Sent:* Tuesday, October 27, 2015 4:52 PM
*Subject:* Re: [Fis] Short article by Chaitin on information incompleteness

Dear John,

I hope the metamorphosis went smoothly.

Thanks for posting the Chaitin link. It is indeed a clear statement, or
group of statements, and many of them confirm the respect due to to
Chaitin as a mathematician.

However, my respect does not extend to the following, at the end of the
article:

"To me as a pure mathematician, metabiology is justified if it enables
us to prove beautiful theorems. More generally, software models and
current work on quantum information and randomness show the importance
of an idealistic as opposed to a materialist conception of nature.
Information and computation are better than matter and energy. I expect
that this is just the beginning and that, if we are fortunate, we will
continue to see idealism supersede materialism, particularly in the
much-to-be-desired basic theoretical understanding of consciousness and
mind."

This kind of dichotomous dogma may sit well with the 'sponsors', but it
does not bode well for progress in information science or philosophy. Is
there anyone who feels it does?

Best wishes,

Joseph