[Fis] Acknowledgments

Stuart Kauffman stukauffman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 16:25:28 CET 2024

Thanks Krassimir. Yes Thinking Life. I will soon complete an article with Andrea Roli: Is the Emergence of Life an Expected Phase Transition in the Evolving Universe?” and will share it with the group. In it, quite to my surprise, I think we demonstrate that John von Neumann’s famous self reproducing machine is badly mistaken about how living cells reproduce. It is all very odd. If we are correct, the software hardware distinction does not apply to living cells. But the software hardware distinction surely applies to Universal Turning Machines. How can both be true?

It seems a deep new puzzle. It may be related to Aristotle’s Four Causes and how they can be true, but not, I suspect, for reproducing cells. Very odd.

Best to all,.

Stu