[Fis] The ternary logic

Krassimir Markov itheaiss at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 22:09:22 CEST 2024

Dear Kate,

I want to point out that my note was just one variation of the well-known
ternary logic.

The ternary logic, or three-valued logic (3VL), is a logic system with
three truth values: TRUE, FALSE, and UNKNOWN. It is superior to binary
logic, but because of the significantly larger set of 27 unary operators,
the engineer who created the first electronic computer (do you know who he
was?) preferred the simpler binary (Boolean) logic.

Boolean logic allows 22 = 4 unary operators; the addition of a third value
in ternary logic leads to a total of 33 = 27 distinct operators on a single
input value.

At the same time, if we want to achieve development in the field of
artificial intelligence and its applications, it is better to use ternary
logic. It can be implemented programmatically without much effort, so it is
not a question of implementation, but rather of using it expediently.

For instance the database structural query language SQL implements ternary
logic as a means of handling comparisons with NULL field content. NULL was
originally intended to be used as a sentinel value in SQL to represent
missing data in a database, i.e. the assumption that an actual value
exists, but that the value is not currently recorded in the database. In
SQL, the intermediate value is intended to be interpreted as UNKNOWN.

In the 3VL logic based on -1,0,1 the intermediate value is 0.

Thank you Kate for the very interesting interpretation of intermediate
value for the case of emotions!

Dear Stu,

I would like to touch briefly on the "Hindu Jain concept of Unmanifest,
True, Unmanifest, False" you noted.

This is not analogous to "I don't know," because "I don't know" means "I
have no way of knowing." This is a ternary logic - "Yes", "No" and
"Unknown".

In my opinion, "Unmanifest, True, Unmanifest, False", is based on the
recommendation to perceive reality as "it is" and at the same time as "it
is not", qualified with "perhaps", to understand Absolute Reality. This is
a variant of binary logic, in probably one of its oldest versions.

I will recall that any change in a given entity, as a result of interaction
with another (= reflection = data = ontological information), only after
being recognized by the Infos (= human = agent = subject) becomes a mental
model (= information = data with meaning = knowledge = epistemological
information).

This is what leads to the confusion of what "information" is, because in
everyday life we use the term “information” for both data and knowledge.
And in fact, information appears during the transition from data to
knowledge, which takes place in the temporary (working) memory of the
brain. Data enters it, is recognized, and is perceived as information (the
data acquires meaning), after which it is stored in long-term memory. Thus,
the temporary memory can be considered as a converter of the data coming at
the input into information that is stored in the permanent memory and we
usually call "knowledge".  The opposite transition from knowledge to data
is possible.

But the reflection (the data, the ontological information) may not be
recognized by the Infos (= human = agent = subject) and, under certain
conditions, continue to exist in long-term memory as a reflection without
meaning. This is exactly the case with "I don't know". Thus we enter the
ternary aspect of consciousness, which is actually the engine of knowledge
because it leads to the generation of new mental models.

If we make an analogy with Schrödinger's Cat, then in ternary logic the
observation can give one of three answers: "The cat is alive", "The cat is
dead", "That in the box is not a cat and one cannot recognize what it is"!

This suggests that our brain is not quantum, but a vastly more complex
system.

If we want the Jain concept to become a ternary, then we should have three
concepts - "Unmanifest, True", "Unmanifest, False", and "Unmanifest,
Unknown ".

With respect,

Krassimir

PS: In the future, possibly it will be interesting to discuss information
trialectics philosophy.

<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!VEMGhAxaHDmNW0s1TsN4Kvo6Bqbit42kgoNFOJ8e5TeyjrPJHTIhFL_NaFENoszHWLzq28bJo5hkqquzFxI$ >
Няма
вирусиhttps://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.avast.com__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!VEMGhAxaHDmNW0s1TsN4Kvo6Bqbit42kgoNFOJ8e5TeyjrPJHTIhFL_NaFENoszHWLzq28bJo5hkQXyqrUM$
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!VEMGhAxaHDmNW0s1TsN4Kvo6Bqbit42kgoNFOJ8e5TeyjrPJHTIhFL_NaFENoszHWLzq28bJo5hkqquzFxI$ >
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>