[Fis] Fwd: What OpenAI answer ...

Krassimir Markov itheaiss at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 05:01:47 CET 2023

Dear FIS Colleagues,
I tried to answer Plamen and had provided an experiment with a poem of
Robert Burns.
The result is after this letter.
I agree with the conclusions of Plamen and with the possible "dark
side", commented in the short movie he pointed to in the link.
Now I want to give a short conversation about the usefulness of OpenAI for
science publications.
Friendly greetings,
Krassimir

*Markov:* Who is the author of the definition of "information"?

*OpenAI:* As an AI language model, I generated the definition of
"information" based on my programming and training on vast amounts of
textual data. Therefore, I cannot attribute the definition to a specific
author or source. However, the definition is consistent with the commonly
accepted understanding of the term "information" in various fields,
including computer science, information science, communication studies, and
philosophy.

*Markov:* Who is the owner of author rights?

*OpenAI:* As an AI language model, I do not have author rights or
intellectual property rights over the definition of "information" or any
other text that I generate. The content that I produce is based on
algorithms and training data, and it is intended to be used for
informational and educational purposes only. Any intellectual property
rights or authorship of the definition of "information" would depend on the
specific source or author of the original text, if there is one. However,
the definition of "information" is a general and commonly used term, and it
is likely that there is no specific author or owner of intellectual
property rights associated with it.

*Markov:* If it will be published, who has to be cited?

*OpenAI:* If you are using the definition of "information" that I generated
as an AI language model and you wish to include it in a publication, it is
generally recommended to cite the source of the information. In this case,
you may cite "OpenAI's ChatGPT AI language model" as the source of the
definition. However, it is important to note that the definition is a
general and commonly used term, so it may not be necessary to cite a
specific source for it. If you have any specific guidelines or requirements
for citation in your publication, it is always a good idea to consult with
the relevant style guide or your publisher to ensure that you are citing
sources correctly.

*Markov:* It is not serious to cite Wikipedia or any AI tool. We need the
source publications.

*OpenAI:* You are correct that citing Wikipedia or an AI tool like ChatGPT
may not be appropriate or accepted in all cases, particularly in academic
or research contexts where more authoritative sources are preferred. In
such cases, it may be necessary to find and cite a published source or a
recognized authority on the subject of "information."

As an AI language model, I generate text based on algorithms and training
data, and I do not have a specific author or published source that can be
cited. However, my responses are based on current knowledge and best
practices in various fields, and I strive to provide accurate and reliable
information to the best of my ability.

If you need to cite a published source for the definition of "information,"
you may consider consulting academic or professional sources such as books,
journals, or reports in the fields of information science, communication
studies, or philosophy. These sources may provide more detailed and
authoritative definitions and explanations of the concept of information.

*Markov:* How may I trust your explanation if you cannot give and cite the
source publications?

*OpenAI:* As an AI language model, my responses are generated based on the
algorithms and training data that I have been programmed with. While I do
not have specific sources or publications to cite for each response, I
strive to provide accurate and reliable information based on the best
available knowledge and practices in various fields.

It is important to note that my responses are intended to provide general
information and guidance, and should not be relied upon as a substitute for
expert advice or authoritative sources in specific situations or contexts.
If you require more detailed or specialized information, it may be
necessary to consult with recognized authorities or published sources in
the relevant fields.

Ultimately, it is up to you to evaluate the information that I provide and
to make your own judgment about its accuracy and relevance to your needs. I
encourage you to seek out additional sources and perspectives to supplement
and verify the information that I provide, particularly in situations where
accuracy and reliability are critical.

*Markov:* Does this mean that you cannot separate correct from fake texts?

*OpenAI:* As an AI language model, I am designed to provide responses based
on the patterns and relationships that I have learned from my training
data, which includes both correct and incorrect information. While I am
capable of generating responses that may be inaccurate or misleading in
certain situations, I am also capable of detecting and flagging certain
types of errors or inconsistencies in text.

To improve the accuracy and reliability of my responses, I have been
trained on large amounts of high-quality data from a wide range of sources,
including academic journals, news articles, and other reputable sources.
Additionally, I undergo continuous training and refinement to improve my
ability to detect and correct errors and biases in my responses.

However, it is important to note that I am not infallible, and I may still
generate responses that contain errors, biases, or other types of
inaccuracies. It is always a good idea to verify the information that I
provide with additional sources and to exercise critical thinking and
judgment when evaluating the accuracy and relevance of my responses.

*Markov:* If one needs to look for additional sources why does he/she need
to use your capacity?

*OpenAI:* As an AI language model, I can provide a quick and convenient way
to access information and answers to a wide range of questions. I am
capable of processing large amounts of text data and providing responses
based on the patterns and relationships that I have learned from my
training.

While I am not a substitute for more in-depth research or expert advice in
specific situations or contexts, I can be a useful tool for gaining a
general understanding of a topic, identifying potential sources of
information, or getting started with research or problem-solving.
Additionally, I can provide responses to questions that may be difficult or
time-consuming to find through other means, such as searching through
multiple sources or consulting with experts.

Ultimately, the decision to use my capacity as an AI language model will
depend on your specific needs and goals. If you require more detailed or
specialized information or advice, it may be necessary to consult with
recognized authorities or published sources in the relevant fields.
However, if you are looking for a quick and convenient way to access
information or generate ideas, I may be a useful tool to consider.