[Fis] Fwd: What OpenAI answer ...

Roy Morrison roy.morrison114 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 25 21:02:51 CET 2023

We should take AI for what it is: artificial intelligence. Literally artificial meaning producing programmed  deep or transparent fakes.
When AI begins to deduce/ predict/create emergent phenomena beyond programmed code that is a manifestation of something quite different.
A person observing a natural phenomena and then able to write heretofore unseen equations to describe  and predict not just what was observed but its  universal applicability e.g. special and then general relativity that's intelligence.
On a far less exalted level, I was puzzling once over statistical  problems around normal distributions and, as I later found, rediscovered a 19th century statistical method. Yes, I was more than 150 years too late. But should have not been a surprise. The exercise of human intelligence is iterative and recursive. We all stand on the shoulders of giants.
Intelligence itself is an emergent phenomena. It is the supreme arrogance to assume the mind is a computer  and therefore:
Programing + Computing Power = Intelligence.
Yes computer deep fakes will continue to improve. But this will not mean the exercise of mind and self-conscious intelligence anymore than the ability of fastest computers to now beat the world's chess champions by running a gazillion moves based on a repertoir of openings and end games.
Roy