[Fis] IS4SI 2021 Paper: The Natural, Artificial, and Social Domains of Intelligence

Marcus Abundis 55mrcs at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 10:08:00 CET 2023

Dear Pedro and Jeorge,

I am taking time to catch up on my reading and I
 am enjoying your IS4SI 2021 Summit paper: The Natural, Artificial, and
Social Domains of Intelligence. My own focus targets a 'lower level' than
what you cover, but I still found the paper interesting and well written –
thank you.

In considering my own focus . . . I wondered if either of you have looked
at roles BENEATH that of prokaryotes (as a simplest 'intelligent' form).
For example, instead of invoking 'intelligence' I think in terms of
'adaptive logic'; which may be equal to your evident 'survival
intelligence'(?). Next, in terms of 'adaptive logic' a core question
arises: 'Is there a "bright line" that divides "things" exhibiting adaptive
logic, versus things that do not or cannot?', in evincing survival
intelligence.

For example, a single oxygen, carbon, etc. atom presumably has no need or
ability to adapt to shifting environs. Such 'simple atoms' instead
contribute to/create underlying environs (context) to which more complex
"things" (i.e., agents) adapt, for survival – building 'intelligence
content' along the way. In terms of a simple-to-complex cosmos, for
differences between 'the simple' and 'the complex', at what specific point
does something like 'adaptive logic' arise? It seems easy to say genomic
roles have such a role (beneath prokaryotes?), but there must also be other
even-more-simple molecular roles having "something" that might be called
'adaptive logic'. Hopefully my question makes sense to you(?), but if not I
apologize for my awkward wording. Still, any thoughts you have to share on
this matter are greatly appreciated.

Marcus