[Fis] Fwd: Re: emotions (From Howard)

konstantin lidin lidinkl at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 6 21:36:30 CEST 2023

Dear Pedro,
thank you for the informative comment and link to the ideas of Jaak Panksepp. This is similar to Daniel Kahneman's thought about System-1 and System-2 in the work of our brain.

System-1 really uses the emotions "joy-pride" and the neurotransmitters dopamine and serotonin associated with them as encouragement.

System-2 is much more diverse. Here, different emotions can act as a reward emotion (positive valence). This thesis is illustrated by the variety of surrogates that people use to replace natural endogenous neurotransmitters. For example, ethyl alcohol is similar in its emotional effect to gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). It increases the resistance of the nervous system to the passage of a nerve signal, that is, it weakens the flow of information (emotions of the "sadness" group). As a result, alcoholic beverages lower the threshold of behavioural reactions - self-control weakens, and a person shows impulses that are suppressed in a sober state. As they say, what is on the mind of a sober person is on the tongue of a drunk.

Among my acquaintances there are people who are committed to dangerous and extreme adventures. For them, the neurotransmitter of encouragement is adrenaline and norepinephrine (emotions of the group "fear" and "anger"). These are "adrenaline junkies" who are ready to risk their health and life for the sake of their gambling happiness.
Etc.

As I wrote earlier, a variety of emotions are in demand on the market. This means that all of them can have a positive valence for someone