[Fis] Code, self and evolution

youri timsit youri.timsit at mio.osupytheas.fr
Tue Nov 15 11:51:27 CET 2022

Dear all,

Please find some comments and references about your previous discussions:

What about symbiosis ? Symbiosis has played a major role in evolutionary processes) and their implications for the notion of self:
one might ask "where is the self when there is a symbiotic relationship?" and in particular an endosymbiosis: wouldn't it be interesting to add Lynn Margulis to these discussions and the issue of "self-multiples »?

see PMID: 11543608; PMID: 24492707; PMID: 23397797

otherwise, I came across an article by Brette on code metaphors for the brain (I haven't read it in detail yet, but it might be interesting for the discussion too)
DOI: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://doi.org/10.1017/S0140525X19000049__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!Q_djpcceZgEtW6aTQ6YMDWLwq93Afvf5JbTHrqLZ7Vx6RA5y-LwJBGvDAyEJb9oBCRjuQSRCA3nJ8PUyXcTqRn0wx-kqGNJoHg$

and also some comment about machine metaphors of life (computing, code, etc) do they procuce some bias or misconceptions in our understanding life (and information):
see the introduction and Chaplin (modern times) in this paper:  DOI: 10.3390/ijms222111868
and the hypothesis of molecular brains (in the ribosomes)

and also a review that describes the close evolutionary link between the immune system and the nervous system: (perception of the self and others)
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://doi.org/10.7554/eLife.66706__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!Q_djpcceZgEtW6aTQ6YMDWLwq93Afvf5JbTHrqLZ7Vx6RA5y-LwJBGvDAyEJb9oBCRjuQSRCA3nJ8PUyXcTqRn0wx-lSAPZLbQ$

and then there are also recent papers on what Baluska and Miller call :
"cognitibe based evolution"!
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pbiomolbio.2020.07.002__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!Q_djpcceZgEtW6aTQ6YMDWLwq93Afvf5JbTHrqLZ7Vx6RA5y-LwJBGvDAyEJb9oBCRjuQSRCA3nJ8PUyXcTqRn0wx-nR9eoDew$
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biosystems.2022.104694__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!Q_djpcceZgEtW6aTQ6YMDWLwq93Afvf5JbTHrqLZ7Vx6RA5y-LwJBGvDAyEJb9oBCRjuQSRCA3nJ8PUyXcTqRn0wx-lt6Uy9Zg$

all the best