[Fis] The Sports, Music and Information Worlds

Michel Petitjean petitjean.chiral at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 19:15:01 CET 2022

Dear FISers,

Russia attacked Ukraine, that is a fact, it is a catastroph for
Ukraine, and I am not convinced that Russian soldiers are happy to
fight in Ukraine.
Before that, there was a still unended eight year war in Donbass
(~13000 deaths); Minsk agreements were unsuccessful.
Putin explained that:
> he does not want NATO in Ukraine (may be Zelenskyy would accept that Ukraine become neutral, he recently declared that); similarly, USA were unhappy with Cuba missiles.
> he wants to remove nazis (I hardly believe that Zelenskyy, a jew, would have been elected if most Ukrainians were nazis).
> he wants that Ukraine becomes part of Russia for historical reasons, but the conclusions may depend on the reference period.
> he may have other reasons, good or bad, that he does not explain.
NATO (which means, mainly USA) advanced toward Russia (look at east EU
countries), and still tries to advance each time that more countries
request their inclusion in NATO.
That's enough.
Remember also Georgian war (South Ossetia and Abkhazia), Chechnya war,
Syria war (Tartus is an important Mediterranean port for Russia); at
USSR time, there was the Soviet–Afghan war.
What may come next: Moldova ? Baltic countries (in Nato and in EU) ?
Finland (in EU, but not in NATO) ?
That's enough.
We, European peoples, face to a risk of a generalized war in Europe,
and I do not evoke the risk of a third world war, with nuclear weapons
in action: it suffices of an unwanted event, and all explodes.
We are fed up with all these conflicts and wars.
USA and Russia must find an agreement, in cooperation with all
European countries.
War in Ukraine must stop, negotiations must occur, all we want is peace.
All what can help toward negotiations and peace is welcome.

Best regards,

Michel.

Michel Petitjean
Université de Paris, BFA, CNRS UMR 8251, INSERM ERL U1133, F-75013 Paris, France
Phone: +331 5727 8434; Fax: +331 5727 8372
E-mail: petitjean.chiral at gmail.com (preferred),
        michel.petitjean at u-paris.fr
http://petitjeanmichel.free.fr/itoweb.petitjean.html