[Fis] " How Molecules Became Signs" : Models, Signs and Reality

joe.brenner at bluewin.ch joe.brenner at bluewin.ch
Mon Feb 28 10:08:14 CET 2022

Dear Loet,
Thank you for your note and criticism, also received on the 26th , which I am happy to accept. It is in my approach, if anyone's, that differences and disagreements are to be given their proper value. What I try to keep in mind is that even dissimilarities are not fixed and final, but also change and evolve.
I am not sure whether the use of 'epi' will help. To say that something is epiphenomenal has the effect of emphasizing what separates it rather than links it to phenomena.
Similarly, the distinction between special and formal theories and the preference for the latter, although understandable,  does not seem absolutely necessary. For me it is not the formality that enables one to move between chemistry and economics but the general principles (which I suppose could be called formal) of the form of any change or motion of the components of phenomena from actual to potential. It would be very interesting for me to see whether all or part of the latter might be "framed mathematically", but its utility can be considered independently.
Thank you and best wishes,
Joe