[Fis] Fis Digest, Vol 86, Issue 9. Humor and Ontology

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Fri Feb 11 15:25:31 CET 2022

Dear Joseph:

Let me try to respond:

>I find throughout our discussion (and many others) an under-emphasis notto say neglect of ontological perspectives which are linked to science by their relation to the dynamics of thought.
If I correctly understand you, this is Descartes' question or perhaps,
upside down: "The dynamics of thought" is equivalent to Descartes'
cogito, isn't it?

Descartes then invokes the Veracitas Dei for answering the question
about the existence of Ego and the outside world. The question of the
existence of God is covered by the ontological proof (which I do not
here repeat).

Kant found Descartes' discussion very good, but noted that the proof of
God is not convincing. It follows that one can remain agnostic. In other
words, this question does not have to be answered. (In other words, one
can proceed to doing science.)

Is that an answer to your question?

>One term used by Pedro captures almost everything I am trying to say: "inter-individual bonding". Change and an "science-philosophy" (the term is of Wu Kun) of change is immediately implied since such bonding like any real bonding is a dynamic process, with an ethical dimension 'built in'. The role of information, at the interface between ontology and epistemology, also appears in a more functional way. I hope that others may suggest other and better relations between these concepts.
These are questions which cannot be answered in the brief context of an
email. If I correctly understand you, I would follow Parsons and Luhmann
calling this interpenetration.

In the case of interpenetration the 'bonding' is a consequence of both
operational and structural coupling. (Maturana would not agree!) The two
systems (e.g., communication and consciousness) make their complexity
available for the other, so that the puzzle-solving capacity is
enhanced.

See my recent book for more details. It happens to be that we discuss
Chapter 4 on Feb. 16. Chapter 4 addresses these issues.

Wednesday,  Feb 16, 2022
<https://us02web.zoom.us/j/9116543210?pwd=RkJWR0JtaDRVYTRNZE5yUVAxbVQ2Zz09>
- Chapter 4 - Towards a Calculus of Redundancy.

Comments by

                  Inga Ivanova <https://hse-ru.academia.edu/IngaIvanova>
(HSE Univ., Moscow, Russia).
Larry Richards <https://campuslibraryiue.academia.edu/LarryRichards>
(Mgmt. & Engineering, Indiana Univ. East, USA).
Diana Lucio <https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Diana-Lucio-Arias>
(Pontifical Xavierian Univ., Columbia).

Abstract:

In this chapter, I extend Shannon’s linear model of communication into a
model in which communication is differentiated both vertically and
horizontally (Simon, 1973). Following Weaver (1949), three layers are
distinguished operating in relation to one another: (i) at level A, the
events are sequenced historically along the arrow of time, generating
Shannon-type information (that is, uncertainty); (ii) the incursion of
meanings at level B is refer­ential to (iii) horizons of meaning spanned
by codes in the communication at level C. In other words, relations at
level A are first distinguished from correlations among patterns of
relations and non-relations at level B. The correlations span a vector
space on top of the network of relations. Relations are positioned in
this vector space and can then be provided with meaning. Different
positions provide other perspectives and horizons of meaning.
Perspectives can overlap, for example, in Triple-Helix relations.
Overlapping perspectives can generate redundancies—that is, new
options—as a result of synergies.

>Best,
>Joseph

<https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783030599508>Loet Leydesdorff

"The Evolutionary Dynamics of Discusive Knowledge"
<https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-030-59951-5>(Open Access)

Professor emeritus, University of Amsterdam

Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

loet en leydesdorff.net <mailto:loet en leydesdorff.net>;
http://www.leydesdorff.net/

http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ych9gNYAAAAJ&hl=en

ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-7835-3098;