[Fis] Book Presentation. Emotions

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Thu Apr 21 12:30:58 CEST 2022

Dear Karl and colleagues,

Before you conclude to consensus, perhaps, a bit of error should be
removed:

>Pedro’s story about the empathic, nonverbal communication happening
>between humans, who share each other’s emotional state, drives a point
>home that is clearly observable in a fashion where one can relate his
>experiences and be sure that others will understand him. The main point
>is that art is interpersonally communicable, and by this criterium can
>be shown to be a part of objective reality.

I don't think so: It is not "objective reality" but "intersubjective
intentionality." This has huge consequences.

>(We refer to the agreement that if a concept is referrable to
>interpersonally and the participants agree on what they have
>experienced in a common fashion, that concept has an inter-individual
>existence, which is then by definition a part of the objective
>reality.)

The interpersonal domain does not "exist" in the sense that a table may
exist. It remains a construct. These constructs have the status of
hypotheses.  They can be tested against observations of things which may
exist.

Best, Loet

Loet Leydesdorff

"The Evolutionary Dynamics of Discusive Knowledge"
<https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-030-59951-5>(Open Access)

Professor emeritus, University of Amsterdam

Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

loet en leydesdorff.net <mailto:loet en leydesdorff.net>;
http://www.leydesdorff.net/

http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ych9gNYAAAAJ&hl=en

ORCID: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-7835-3098;