[Fis] [External Email] Re: Wake up call. Poetry and Utility

Dai Griffiths dai.griffiths.1 at gmail.com
Wed May 19 16:54:50 CEST 2021

Perhaps a rather mundane view on this is that part of the importance of
poetry, and the other arts, is to do with metaphor. Seeing one thing in
terms of another is, I think, a good practice for keeping the mind
flexible. It would be interesting to know what cognitive effects might
result from doing cryptic crosswords every day.

Metaphor can also lead to insight, as proposed by Bateson's 'pattern
that connects', and also by Koestler's concept of bisociation. Seeing
more of these connections can only help us.

Best,

Dai

On 15/05/2021 10:56, Joseph Brenner wrote:

> Dear Karl and Stan,
>
> Thank you for this truly transdisciplinary exchange. My suggestion is
> that the “restarting” of thinking that Karl describes in fact takes
> place numerous times, as there are unfortunately many “restoppings” in
> life as well.
>
> Also, however, if poetry can have the role that you both describe, is
> it just to say it is not useful? Perhaps its utility (and that of
> other art) in our mental /Haushalt/ is much greater than it is usually
> given credit for.
>
> Best,
>
> Joseph
>
> On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 3:50 PM Stanley N Salthe
> <ssalthe at binghamton.edu <mailto:ssalthe at binghamton.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Karl -- I think that you have touched upon an interesting way to
>     suggest the meaning and effect of poetry. Since it is not
>     concerned with
>
>     presenting factual or useful information, we may well search for a
>     raison d'etre of poetry.  It is, I think, a way of eliciting
>     understandings
>
>     that are not available by way of everyday language use, but which
>     many of us had some more direct way of engaging when we were young
>
>     at certain ages.  So poetry may be viewed as a technique for
>     eliciting feelings by way of providing guidance through unusual
>     imagery, which
>
>     may be evoked verbally.  This supposes that the reader of poetry
>     is seriously engaged -- a condition of the 'soul' requiring some
>     isolation
>
>     from the busy world of practical information exchanges. Poetry
>     'informs' us by eiicting, or drawing out, feelings, which can be
>     imputed to (some)
>
>     'serious' music as well.  Thank you for asking this question!
>
>     STAN
>
>     On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 10:03 AM Karl Javorszky
>     <karl.javorszky at gmail.com <mailto:karl.javorszky at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         I did not dare to evaluate the positive connotations to poetry
>         poetic rhetorically lanced.
>
>         I'd be honored to feel a sympathy from you.
>
>         In fact, it is not that easy to sell a solution to a problem
>         that the customer doesn't recognize he has. One may in such a
>         situation digress into allegory and chiseled haiku. The
>         customer needs an inner education, and needs to be seduced
>         into restarting thinking by means of cortical complexes which
>         he had last time coordinated at the age of 5 6 or 7 years.
>
>         Would you tell me, please, in such words as you choose, what I
>         am trying to say? This would help me tremendously. I am
>         longing for a conservation.
>
>         Karl
>
>         Stanley N Salthe <ssalthe at binghamton.edu
>         <mailto:ssalthe at binghamton.edu>> schrieb am Do., 13. Mai 2021,
>         15:47:
>
>             Karl -- As a sometime/occasional poet, I find your
>             statement (if not a joke) 'interesting'. Is 'poetic'
>             derogatory because
>
>             poetic productions are often indirect, vague, ironic,
> [...]

Professor David (Dai) Griffiths

Researcher at the Instituto de Investigación, Innovación y Tecnología Educativas (iTED)
La Universidad Internacional de La Rioja (UNIR)
https://www.unir.net/universidad-online/investigacion/unir-ited/

SKYPE: daigriffiths

Phones (please don't leave voice mail)
    Spanish Mobile: + 34 687 955912