[Fis] [External Email] Re: Wake up call. Poetry and Utility

Howard Bloom howlbloom at aol.com
Sun May 16 01:44:21 CEST 2021

i agree with you, karl, stan, and joe.
poetry is our first symbolic expression of the previously inexpressible.  once we have a way of expressing our feelings in poetry, we have the possibility of taking than understanding and moving it a step up the symbol stack--to science.
for example, two poems grabbed hold of me utterly when i was sixteen years old: the love song of j alfred prufrock by ts eliot and renascence by edna st. vincent millay.
those poems have infused my science ever since.  they've powered my lifelong quest--a scientific expedition into the forces of history.
with warmth and oomph--howard