[Fis] Abstract--Electronic Symbiosis—Lessons from Bacteria

Howard Bloom howlbloom at aol.com
Tue Feb 16 00:23:51 CET 2021

re: This biological argument is based on an exception. For most inter-species long term evolutionary encounters conduce to... extinction.
pedro, hi,  could you give me some examples of interspecies encounters leading to extinction?  to me, that would seem the exception to the rule. a cluster of different species living together in an ecological community benefit from keeping each other alive.  despite their habit of eating each other.
re: Plamen, thanks for the comment.  "I wish we were smart enough to push it forward into practice.  Are we?"
hb: we often accomplish miracles with no consciousness of what we've done.  I hope that happens here.
examples of material miracles we've made but have failed to plan or see:

  ·       Ifyou’d been born in 1850, your expected lifespan would have been 37.5years.  If you’d been born in the West in2000, your expected lifespan would have been 78.5 years.  Chinese Emperors were willing to spend almostall of their wealth to achieve an extra four years of life.  But Western Civilization has added another40.  Western civilization has more thandoubled the human lifespan.  No othercivilization in the history of the world—not the Chinese, Egyptian, Muslim, RussianMarxist, or Roman—has ever pulled this off.

·       Ifyou’d been the poorest paid worker in London in 2012, a personal assistant, youwould have earned what an entire tenement full of the poorest paid workers inLondon were paid in 1850.  You would haveearned what seven Irish dockworkers made.

·       Ifyou gave a bunch of average Western kids today a Stanford Binet IQ test from1900, today’s kids would register as near geniuses.  They’d register an average IQ of roughly135.  That’s an IQ Jump of 35 points.

·       Ifyou were in an indigenous culture, one of those tribes that “lives in peace andharmony with nature,”  your odds of dyinga violent death at the hands of a fellow human being would be ten times whatthey are in the West today.  Since 1650,Western Civilization has upped the level of peace by a factor of ten.

·       Ifyou were born in 2000, your height would have been four inches higher than ifyou’d been born in 1850.

·       TheWestern System has lifted close  to abillion people out of poverty in a mere twenty years.[i]

 however you are right.  there's always a chance that we could blow it.  or that we could built algorithms into military ai that ultimately decide that we are the enemy and need to be killed.
with warmth and oomph--howard

[i] https://www.economist.com/leaders/2013/06/01/towards-the-end-of-poverty