[Fis] The 10 Principles

Pedro C. Marijuan pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es
Thu Oct 8 21:37:57 CEST 2020

Dear FIS Colleagues,

Fantastic Karl's optimism! At least we deserve the Ig Nobel Prize for
these 25 years! The pity we still have disarray on how to slice the
pizza, how to seat on the table, how to organize the cuisine, the
ingredients... Well, but we have fun!

Regarding Jerry's below, I will try to produce simple responses,
although what he asks demands lengthy comments.

> While I applaud the effort to construct a theory of information, I
> believe the principles introduced below need to be significantly
> sharpened if the theory is to be developed into biological information
> theory.  At least, from the narratives of the terms ‘distinction’ and
> ‘adjacent’.
>
> From a logical perspective of science, the term “informational entity”
> appears to be a teleological or cybernetic entity, that is necessarily
> searching for satisfaction of a need.  Such that the distinction is a
> “difference that makes a difference”?
>
> Is this the intended meaning of the term?

/I quite agree with the needed sharpening. The principles refer not to
an info theory (many are needed, perhaps with Shannon's among the
central ones), but to an involving science. Take the example of physics,
with so many theories within, but centrally staying with the Mechanics
(classical, fluid, statistical, quantum). I mean, all the info stuff
around, already produced, would greatly benefit from a general wrapping
up. About the //the term “informational entity”, it would represent
those entities that survive via info flows abduced from the environment,
coupled with energy flows and with inner info flows. The initial system
with those characteristics is the living cell. Later on there would be
complex cells, organisms, individuals, societies, firms, institutions,
countries... each one demanding a specific analysis. /

> Secondly, I applaud the proposal to focus on adjacency as a critical
> attribute of information theory.  The deeper implications of this term
> require a binary system of difference; that is, two different
> objective “forms” are necessary.  The forms must have separate
> identities in order for them to be adjacency to one-another.
>
> Is this the intended meaning of the term?
>
> Are these two terms embodied in the “First Principle” of Marijuan’s
> Information theory intended to function logically as the skeleton
> needed to transmit a informational message?
>
> Or, am I missing the point?  Adjacency could also be interpreted as
> spatial adjacency or temporal adjacency.

/I cannot respond succinctly... my original intent comes from molecular
recognition classes, which also works very well for our own perception
(including distant sources via photons, phonons, etc.). But adjacency
has further layers. I take set theory to establish a sort of metaphor on
how "logical distinctions" can be extracted by a subject counting with a
set of receptors that can be occupied by different presences or
signs--not necessarily binary. Then those distinctions circulate--are
propagated-- so that the system inner workings can elaborate inferences
that become "meaning" (or meaninglessness). As I have said several times
Karl's multidimensional partitions can be a very elegant "metaphor"
(???) for elaborating logical distinctions out from a very dirty
(overburdened) environment impinging on the receptor set. The further
transmission within the system we can bet will have Shannonian and
Bayesian connotations. Another Karl (Friston) becomes ad hoc here./
> As I read the “First Principle”, it could suggest that information can
> not be a point within set theory. This suggested conclusion appears to
> negate a role for the popular views of entropy in the transmission of
> information.  Is that the intent?  Or, am I reading too much into this
> very direct declarative sentence?

/Not necessarily. Better speaking on complementarity, I think. We look
at the other end of the channel, the subject making sense. /
> The intended meaning of the term "“multidimensional partitions” “
> Is unclear. I presume that it refers to multiple integers each with a
> separate and distinct pattern of partitions.  Or, does it infer a
> single vector of n integers selected from an n-dimensional space?

/Homeric Karl can respond better about multidimensional partitions.../

/All the best--Pedro/

Pedro C. Marijuán

pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es