[Fis] New Dialog on Social Systems

Howard Bloom howlbloom at aol.com
Sun Nov 29 00:07:55 CET 2020

Pedro, looks like you've achieved an extraordinary act of Omnology.
What's Omnology?
Omnology—the aspiration to omniscience. anacademic base for the promiscuously curious, a discipline that concentrates onseeing the patterns that emerge when one views all the sciences and the arts atonce.

The Omnologist Manifesto

Weare blessed with a richness of specializations, but cursed with a paucity ofpanoptic disciplines—categories of knowledge that concentrate on seeing thepattern that emerges when one views all the sciences at once.  Hence we need a field dedicated to thepanoramic, an academic base for the promiscuously curious, a discipline whosemandate is best summed up in a paraphrase of the poet Andrew Marvel: “Let usroll all our strength and all Our knowledge up into one ball, And tear ourvisions with rough strife Thorough the iron gates of life.”

Omnology is a science, but one dedicated to the biggest pictureconceivable by the minds of its practitioners. Omnology will use every conceptual tool available—and some not yetinvented but inventible—to leapfrog over disciplinary barriers, stitchingtogether the patchwork quilt of science and all the rest that humans can yetknow.  If one omnologist is able toperceive the relationship between pop songs, ancient Egyptian graffiti, mysticism, neurobiology, and the origins of the cosmos, so beit.  If another uses mathematics to probetraffic patterns, the behavior of insect colonies, and the manner in whichgalaxies cluster in swarms, wonderful. And if another uses introspection to uncover hidden passions and relatethem to research in chemistry, anthropology, psychology, history, and the arts,she, too, has a treasured place on the wild frontiers of scientific truth—theterra incognita in the heartland of omnology.

Let me close with the words of yet another poet, William Blake, on theultimate goal of omnology:

To see a World in a Grain of Sand

And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,

Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand

AndEternity in an hour.