[Fis] Discommunication

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Mon May 11 20:01:26 CEST 2020

Dear Jose Javier and colleagues,

I don't think that one can arbitrarily construct one's own language game
and still have the intended effect. The codification takes place at the
supra-individual level as a development of the medium. This
"self-organization" is thus beyond individual control.

Attempts to construct purposefully will lead overwhelmingly to
unintended consequences; this is not input-> output. The construction
only succeeds where it resonates into a kind of eigenvector. The
dynamics is one of the communication matrix and not of an individual
vector.

Best,
Loet

Loet Leydesdorff

Professor emeritus, University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

loet en leydesdorff.net <mailto:loet en leydesdorff.net>;
http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Associate Faculty, SPRU, <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/>University of
Sussex;

Guest Professor Zhejiang Univ. <http://www.zju.edu.cn/english/>,