[Fis] 回复: Hello IS4SI?

Pedro C. Marijuan pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es
Thu Mar 5 21:41:48 CET 2020

Dear Yixin & FIS Colleagues,

My impression is that your approach has merit in connecting the problem
of information with the ecology of knowledge and the new directions of
artificial intelligence. You have introduced order, but may I say that
it is somehow "artificial" and has not cut through the Gordian knot that
freezes current approaches to information? Metaphorically speaking, of
course... Although far from having any clear solution, I will propose
some alternative/complementary  directions to explore. Sorry if what
follows sounds a little bit confusing.

First. About "ontological information" (you say "of any object,
including the living and non-living thins, is the object’s _formal state
and the pattern of the state varying_ that are produced and presented by
the objects in the real world").I think this category is open ended,
unassailable except by a lot of intersubjective consensus that has to
cut among the multiple processes involved in the apparent stability of
that object. I almost remember a fine, classical essay about what's in a
dime (although I cannot locate it on the Internet--does anyone reminds
it??). So that one can relate dozens and dozens of processes that may be
taking part, facultatively, of the multiple info wrappings around that
innocent "object". In your terms, I think, we must use our own epistemic
information, and make a series of exchanges, in order to abduce some
items and agree: this is the concrete piece of information of the object
we will focus on. Fortunately we have a social-cognitive instinct that
gives us all that fuss almost for free. But, in fact we amalgamate not
two but the three kinds of information you mention --for our agreement
on the concrete piece of information abduced will be due to previously
sharing/discussing some pragmatics.

And second, speaking only on "objects" obscures the many crisscrossed
processes that may be intervening. Actually, any object is but a
temporal "island of stability" concerning some of those intervening
processes, the most generative ones. And depending on the space-time
scale of observation, some of these processes will disappear
(irrelevant) while others will take relevance. To go beyond, a
philosophy of processes is needed that may clarify the necessary
coupling of the environmental presences with the subject. But more
difficulties appear now, for the subject always seems to be the
ineffable scientific observer endowed with the "principle of
objectivation" and with unlimited cognitive capability. This point is
important for me, as the further components of epistemological
information you mention (syntactic, semantic, pragmatic) do not match
well with this coupling. If we want to consider a non-human observer
--eg, my favorite bacterium, E. coli k12 responding to a quorum signal--
we have no clear responses. _What matches the environmental presences is
always an ADVANCING LIFE CYCLE, always engaged in the procurement of its
own advancement._ For bacteria or for the microscopist. Further, the
particular subject has to look for the consensus (quorum signals,
reports & publications) within the community of co-observers. And in the
human case, the bodies of knowledge to be exchanged, in order to abduce
the info item & obtain its meaning, shouldn't they be scientific
disciplines whenever available or possible? It is the classical
"methods", "results", "discussion"...

I realize the above "pan-vitalist" views are still primary and difficult
to cohere. In any case, rather than trying to cajole the general
information problem in communication terms (Shannon) or physicalist
terms (Stan will allow me the criticism), it is the other way around.
They may be obtained as simplifications--Yixin, already provides clear
statements about that. My impression is that the new developments around
quantum info and particularly entanglement cosmic role suggest that the
new physics is another part of the multidisciplinary convergence on the
renewed info problem.

Best wishes--Pedro

Pedro C. Marijuán

pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es