[Fis] defining information

Stanley N Salthe ssalthe at binghamton.edu
Wed Mar 4 21:23:43 CET 2020

Here is my 1993 definition of Information:

Here is my 1993 definition of information:

Information is a significant arrangement that could have been different
without any different expenditure of energy. Because it cannot be specified
by natural laws, there is always an element of surprise in information.

Dretske (1981)* Knowledge and the Flow of Information* (MIT Press) has
argued that materially it is the most highly specified digital content an
analog sign could have, thus stating a principle of maximum information
capacity per sign with respect to the meaning of information. Information
implies interpretation; potential information stored elsewhere than where
an observer could tap it is like the unavailable energy of heat. Both are
observer related.

STAN