[Fis] 10 Principles

Marcus Abundis 55mrcs at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 12:11:02 CEST 2020

Hi Pedro,

>From your 11 July post . . .
> The genuine properties of information appear with life: the capability to
persist <
> and react and relate according to inner drives unseen in inanimate
matter.<
– This "informational way of existence" (as you say), I typify as 'adaptive
logic'; an equal concept that I hope we may agree on.

With that as background, in your 11 and 14 July posts there are some key
points I wish to address:
– Your 11 July post shows your bias to LIFE (agency), which *in itself* is
fine and I have no problem with. But I have also seen earlier notes from
you elsewhere (and implied above) where you seem to insist LIFE's
informatic expressions be held above all else – I paraphrase – 'LIFE is
Primary in ALL informational respects!' Is this fair to say, does this
indeed reflect your view? This view of yours seems clear to me from prior
exchanges, but I do not want to put words in your mouth. Also, you are not
alone in taking this view. It is important to be clear about this issue of
Primacy, and your position on the matter . . . as it often seems to
influence the nature of FIS exchanges (re Loet's 14 July note).

– If you see LIFE as Primary in all informational respects, I disagree with
this (as you know). To say LIFE is Primary ignores Evolution by Natural
Selection (EvNS) which ultimately defines what all LIFE looks like – what
is extant, what Lives and what is Extinct/Dead. In turn, EvNS is guided by
indifferent 'selection forces' (purifying, divisive, and directional) which
are themselves ultimately 'inanimate' [unless you subscribe to
super-naturalism?]. As such, the inanimate defines what the animate is: the
INANIMATE is Primary in guiding what the ANIMATE *might* be, but the
inverse is not true. LIFE does not direct atoms and elementary particles in
how they might behave, or what they might *be*. Still, this does not *by
any means* negate LIFE's vital informatics – it merely places LIFE in an
adaptive role, that of adapting to inanimate (but still dynamic/chaotic)
matter. This schism between what is Primary and what is Secondary, I think,
must first be resolved if FIS is to ever advance on its presumed
'foundational' goal.

– To be clear when we say inanimate we mean 'lacking conscious will or
power (survival intent) in manifest acts and deeds'. But inanimate does NOT
mean lacking force or energy in the underlying dynamics of EvNS. It is more
that simple atoms, etc. do not bother with adaptive survival, but LIFE is
mostly concerned with survival . . . given its relatively 'higher-order'
vulnerable complexity.

– Lastly, you alternatively speak of 'points' and 'principles' which are
entirely different things (which I am sure you know). Still, I am unsure if
the list you offer is meant to convey 'points' or 'principles'? Would you
please clarify this. As 'points' it seems little new is added. I do not see
how point 1 significantly improves Donald MacKay's “Information is a
distinction that makes a difference” or Bateson's 'a difference that makes
a difference' – could you offer some clarifying examples, or a bit more
detail? The 'adjacent' role you name in point 1 is in scare quotes and
unspecific. I do not address later points, as I presume they are shown in a
step-wise manner, and I must agree the first point before focusing on later
points.

Marcus