[Fis] 10 Principles

Karl Javorszky karl.javorszky at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 19:09:27 CEST 2020

*Information and metaphysics*

Dear Colleagues,

The recent discussion on Pedro‘s Principles has arrived at clearing most of
the controversies surrounding the meaning of the term “information”. Let me
attempt to summarise and restate the results arrived at so far.

*Levels of meaning* of the term can be distinguished. In a short notation:
information is the remaining alternatives.

In the *basic, elementary* level of *a=a, a+b=c,* information appears in
two forms, *a=c-b, b=c-a. *Of the whole, the missing part is informative. A
part of a whole is a source of information about the whole. That, what is
not there, is created by our mental faculties. If we have a fragment of
something, we can imagine, how the whole would look like. If a part of a
whole is missing, we can imagine what it would look like. That, what we
imagine is the information we generate.

We need to use the *deictic method of name giving* for the next level.
Here, we switch the perspective from the *additive similarities *of the
objects we imagine (and communicate coherently about) to their *subtractive
distinctness. *To do so, we need to introduce some logical tokens, objects
carrying symbols, balls coloured and the like. One can use many kinds of
symbols to discuss information content of statements, e.g.
*a,b,c,…,1,2,3,…,(1,1),(1,2),(2,2),(1,3),…
*The name *logical primitives *has been brought to the attention of FIS by
Marcus. If he agrees and the name is not yet copyrighted, let me propose to
use the name *logical primitives *to the collection of pairs of natural
numbers in the understanding used in oeis.org/A235647. Each of the tokens
is an individual, but they share attributes with other tokens.

*Legitimation to speak *about the matter is based on the fact, that after
having generated the required number of tokens, one can order them
according to some of their properties. The terms of ‘order’, ‘sequence’,
‘position’ can be established by deictic methods. One can as well sequence
the tokens according to a different order. The patterns (cycles) that arise
when reordering the collection from order A into order B are in the sequel
as well clearly observable and are subject to an exact description. The
same will hold true for sequencing the tokens according to orders B, C,
etc. (For reasons that would go too much into detail, it is advisable to
use up to 16 different categories, that is, no more than 136 different
logical primitives). It is permissible and reasonable to communicate about
the planar positions of tokens during a reorder.

*Periodic changes *result in the logical axiom *a1**→…ai…*→…* a1*. This
means that days return after nights, spring follows winter and after having
breathed in, one will breath out. Like one can see *a=a* realised in
everyday arithmetical operations, the axiom *a1 **→…ai…*→…* a1 *will be
observable in arithmetical operations relating to *cycles. *

*Expectations *govern our life. The term ‘expectation’ is assigned by
deictic methods to the assumptions that arise as one observes a collection
of tokens on their positions on the plane and will predict, which order
changes are at work (that have resulted in the observations having been
made), that is: which positions of tokens one will observe the next moment.
I see this; therefore, I believe that presently a change *from – to* is
taking place. The procedure may remind some of the idea of drawing samples
and predicting the properties of the universe. Here, inasmuch as the
observations in any moment are but a sample, we predict based on the
sample, which changes are taking place. There is nothing random in the
procedure, because in the next moment it will turn out, whether we have
predicted correctly, which tokens will pop up during the procedure of
reorder by means of cycles. The reorder P→Q does take place, regardless of
whether we had believed reorder S→T is taking place. This not an exercise
in random sampling. This is an exercise in accounting.

*Enter metaphysics*

The logical primitives are doing their work of walking to their new place
and pushing that guy away who had occupied that place up to now. We, the
observers, are confronted by a snapshot of the present positions of the
primitives, doing their work.

We can make reasonable guesses about the next positions of the primitives.
As the changes are periodic, identical states will be returning. Using the
axiom *a1**→…ai…*→…* a1 *allows us to predict, how many steps we are away
from *a1* again. Repeating this for all *ai*, (for those *individual
primitive **↔ planar position coincidences*) which we observe, we can
reasonably predict, which order changes are currently taking place. This
gives us a large matrix of predictions, based on observations. Here, we
simply expand the truth table conceptualised by Wittgenstein into a table
of reasonable predictions. Predictions are legitimate, as they are each
true in a grammatical sense, and they are indeed based on factual
observation of the positions of the primitive, to whom one can point by the
deictic method.

The properties of this matrix are however no more contained in the physical
world. The property of Mr X is that he has a deep knowledge of the horse
races, of Ms Y that she does well on the bond market: the ability of
persons to correctly foretell the future transcends markets, and the
faculty also transcends persons. There are things that are predictable,
specifically in a world (on a planet) that is subject to periodic changes.
The *collection of predictions* has no homologue in the physical world.

*Fulfilment *is a neutral name for that what has become reality in the next
moment from among our expectations. We have made a snapshot in the previous
moment and have created predictions relating to what would come next. As
opposed to that collection, what in fact happened is creating two subsets:
what we call fulfilment or *hit*, where the expectations have come true,
and the other subset which again subdivides into: those realisations which
we did not expect and those expectations which did not realise. Of these,
we can learn much, as the information is contained in the remaining
alternatives, in the *miss* portion of hit and miss.

*Information = Expectation – Fulfilment*

In agreement with Krassimir’s insistence that the term ‘information’ be
meaningfully used when applied in contexts of biology, let me share with
you an important milestone in the development of the mental capacities of a
small child. The so-called Achtmonatsangst has kept its name for tradition,
although the phenomenon nowadays appears earlier and less in the form of
anxiety. If the baby is given to hold by someone not their mother, they
will show distress, markedly during a brief period at around a half year of
age. The *first organisator *has proven to be in working order, as the
subject is able to experience coherently three steps: perceive, remember,
compare. The result of the comparison is unsatisfactory as such.

The expectations are all that is possible. The fulfilment is that what has
come true. We learn from the difference. *C [expectations] = .T. [reality]
+ .F. [information] *is a variation on *c = a + b. *That what we did not
receive, that what was missing were the core essential in learning,
according to which rules things run, and what is outside of normally
expectable behaviour.

*Different descriptions of the same state of the world *would serve the
need for some inbuilt eccentricity in the logical system. The storing and
retrieving of contents of the memory could show the tool needed: For a
different description of a state of the world to exist alongside the normal
way of describing (experiencing, perceiving), which can be re-actualised
and compared, it is necessary to have distinct classes of properties on
which the two descriptions can agree or not. With genetics, we only use
that subvariant, where the content in the stored (written sequentially)
form agrees most faithfully, to last point, exactly, to the content in the
actualised (concurrently existing) form. There can be no metaphysical
information contained in the DNA, as it only points out tautologies. With
the first organisator of the baby protesting against the unexpected, the
comparison can yield a miss, and from that miss we learn.

The logical primitives are full of data. Each of the tokens we play with is
a depository of preparedness to enter into a cycle, in dependence of the
reorder taking place. Independently of this, the logical primitives also
possess attributes of a spatial-temporal nature, which create a separate
web of distance relations, interpretable in spaces.

The extent of congruence between the two ways of describing the positions
of logical primitives on a plane of which the axes are Property A and
Property B can be expressed on the physical level by discussing once: which
primitive is where, and by discussing then: where is which primitive.
Deviations from expectations do exist in the physical realm.

On the level above, in a metaphysical context, the comparisons relate no
more to individual coincidences of *primitive **↔ position, *but rather *Order
A **↔ Order B*. It appears that the evolutionary adaptation of humans to
periodic changes has allowed us to conceptualise different ordering
principles, be they observable on the physical or on the metaphysical
level. The cooperation and antagonism interplay among different ordering
principles, which we observe in Nature and discuss in metaphysical terms,
can be made visible since we have computers that allow us to watch large
sets of logical primitives being reordered according to differing ordering
principles.

*Insight and intelligence *can only evolve if there is something to learn,
that is, which returns periodically. The memory appears to make use of the
temporally (=spatially) sequenced co-description of a state of the world
(registering the protagonists’ positions on a stage while re-enacting a
childhood experience), while ongoing perception registers the relations
among predictions and fulfilments, irrespective of their places. Insight as
a concept begins after one has begun to have expectations. In development
stages that are below the level of the first organisator, one should
restrain from using the term ‘information’, again reasserting Krassimir’s
views on the subject.

*Practical steps *as suggested by Moisés would include the public
availability of the prediction machine, in a commonly agreed on version.
Any good programmer can build a tautomat in two weeks work. Begin in your
own Institute by assigning a senior student to build one. You can use it
the day it is ready; you will discover more and more of its capacities with
its use. Once you are satisfied that using a prediction table is proving
advantageous, you will be able to find the right words to attract
resources.

Greetings to all

Karl