[Fis] Note to Jaime

Jaime Cardenas-Garcia jfcardenasgarcia at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 15:56:50 CEST 2020

Dear Marcus,

As to your third point, I assume you are talking about César A. Hidalgo. If
you recall my post, it was in response to a post by Pedro. So that is the
context. As to how thermodynamics impacts César’s work, that is something
he is in a better position to answer than I. What I attempted to show was
his expertise in an all-encompassing view of economic, technological
innovation and other interconnections in any society. Sometimes what is
left unsaid also carries information.

My own interest in thermodynamics, apart from that of a mechanical
engineer, is negligible in the science of information. There is a story
that might be apocryphal about the time Claude Shannon was working on his
theory of communication where he did not know how to categorize his
logarithmic equation. It appears Von Neumann was nearby and suggested that
he call it entropy, since it sounded exotic and no one really knew what
entropy was all about. The rest is history. I have never really engaged
with entropy since I have not seen that it has a bearing on my approach to
information. Therefore, I have not given much thought to its role in the
science of information. Maybe at some point in time, if I decide that it
adds much to my musings, I will engage with its significance. I should note
that Bateson kind of hit a stone wall when he started using negative
entropy as a way to explain information.

Kind regards,

Jaime

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 8:32 AM Marcus Abundis <55mrcs at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am unsure how best to respond to your post.
> I easily understand a wish to have one's name spelled correctly, as I wish
> the same for myself (Karl J. can testify), but a simple corrective note is
> all that was needed.
>
> As to the substance of your response, you show yourself to prefer an ad
> hominem line of logic, which I understand is the bane of
> scientific discourse. You do this in 1) imagining a personal insult where
> none was intended (innocently interposed I and M), 2) by inciting an
> insulting context [mental laziness, really?!], and 3) citing a long list of
> presumed qualifications for the author in question. You do this rather than
> exploring (or supporting) YOURSELF how thermodynamic entropy might surpass
> four fundamental forces in physics (always interested in new ideas). We
> plainly have different ideas of what mental laziness looks like . . .
>
> Lastyl, I have already touched on this issue with T. Deacon (privately)
> and he has since moved on to a more `open systems' world view, rather than
> the `closed' view Botlzmann's thermodynamic laws stipulate. That said, I
> also think `the story is unfinished', so I still keep a watchful eye on
> this matter.
>
> Marcus
> la Universidad de Zaragoza.
> Puede encontrar toda la información sobre como tratamos sus datos en el
> siguiente enlace:
> https://sicuz.unizar.es/informacion-sobre-proteccion-de-datos-de-caracter-personal-en-listas
> Recuerde que si está suscrito a una lista voluntaria Ud. puede darse de
> baja desde la propia aplicación en el momento en que lo desee.

Jaime F. Cárdenas-García, PhD, PE
JFCardenasGarcia at gmail.com
(240) 498-7556 (cell)