[Fis] FW: Cultural Relativsm. Disinformatiion and the Universe of Discourse

Joseph Brenner joe.brenner at bluewin.ch
Wed Jan 22 19:10:37 CET 2020

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

The notes of Terry and Pedro, read together, point to a locus of
disinformation where 1) the disinformer refuses to enter into the universe
of discourse of his/her interlocutor with 2) the intent to mislead and
persuade third-parties. This is happening every day in Washington. Closer to
home, a for me key related phase in Pedro’s note is “insistence to apply
one’s own expertise”. This is why exchange of real information/real exchange
of information requires reference to both the other’s point of view and
his/her presentation of it, as well as the differences with one’s own.

May I just suggest the neologism of meta-structure rather than meta-data to
point to the complexity of the process? (I had suggested the presence of
reference to the other’s point of view as a ‘marker’.) This would help to
make the necessary bridge to cognitive science and psychology, without
limitation to an index or ‘rating’. But perhaps such a first marker or mode
of alert would be as much as the society can handle for the time being. . .

Thank you and best wishes,

Joseph

  _____