[Fis] FW: On disinformation. Why disinformation survives

Joseph Brenner joe.brenner at bluewin.ch
Tue Dec 8 09:30:27 CET 2020

Dear All,

Disinformation survives and flourishes in part because supported by
statements such as those of Bloom. They are strictly equivalent in form to
Trump’s saying that “there are good people on both

sides”, when one of those sides is composed of people who kill peaceful
protesters.

In the United States, despite their uniformly good reaction to the current
attacks on the electoral process, the courts will not be able to help in a
catastrophically large number of cases in the future. Apart from the
ideologue majority in the Supreme Court, the lower courts have been stuffed
with young right wing reactionaries who will poison decisions for at least a
generation.

A new process is required, one that explicitly recognizes the existence of
objective altruistic criteria in behavior, where economic or social
self-interest can be shown to be absent. I order not to drown in pessimism,
I repeat to myself the statement of the biologist E. O. Wilson: “Selfishness
beats altruism within groups. Altruistic groups beat selfish groups.
Everything else is commentary.”

I like to think that this discussion, in a small way, is part of such a
process, since the trans-categorial role of information is crucial.

Best wishes,

Joseph

  _____