[Fis] whether this useful simulation is information, data or something else?

Karl Javorszky karl.javorszky at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 19:42:49 CEST 2020

Dear Annette,

Thank you for returning to the rhetorical challenges of explaining the
works of a pocket watch to a Neanderthal. Your sympathy is greatly
appreciated.

The captatio benevolentiae as the first step of any explanation has to
stick to the didactic facts, and correctly describe the task: the
explanation of some divine machination is of such a striking novelty, that
the learned audience has to be ready to start completely afresh. You have
never seen things like this here invention, what is more: you never thought
it possible that such gadgets can exist.

The object of the demonstration to be a pocket watch is an illuminating
allegory. The order by which Nature present itself to us is intricate and
artful, but first of all periodic and interrelated. The noble savage has to
conceptualise himself and the world around himself different to heretofore
with identical units and no pre-existing relations among the units, into a
new concept, where there are many pre-existing relations among the units,
and the state of the assembly is what we look at, not the biographies of
the individuals. The individuals are connected by pre-existing bonds, which
are called cycles; these become apparent as any permutation is transformed
into a different permutation.

Dr N. E. Anderthal shall also be prepared to conceptualise that the whole
system is (contains, consists of) nothing but cycles, and elements are
available or less so, in dependence of what order prevails. Orders are
periodicities, and the model reflects periodicities imposing places.
Sorting and ordering reflect the influences of periodicities of outside
circumstances on a habitat.

The parable of the pocket watch shall drive your attention to following
main perspective suggestions in connection with the narrative:

a. everything is periodic, the stages in a period follow each other in a
sequence (teeth are fixed on a cog);

b. for each pair of order changes from-to that can take place (with *k*
different orders), each element is assigned – (a priori, by Nature, as a
property of it being a pair of natural numbers) – some other elements, with
which together it is fulfilling the exercise “reorder”. (With which it is a
co-member in the corpus of that cycle in which it is contained during a
reorder *ki **→ kj);*

c. we assume a reorder *ki **→ kj* to take place by drawing conclusions
from our observations, that such subsets of elements have been observed
that make it reasonable to assume that a reorder *ki **→ kj *takes place
(the cogs and wheels of the watch are self-referencing);

d. the remaining alternative(s), namely that assuming that reorder *kq **→
kr* is taking place had also many points speaking for it, remain in
existence at least as long as both reorders process such members of the
cycle, which are common to both;

So far, in the words above, stands how I would have tried to clarify the
pocket watch parable. Let us now follow your points:

Picturing the influences of external forces affecting a habitat (day –
night, tidal) is equivalent to sorting the collection. The elements are
different among each other, and these differences impose a linear order on
them. (Students stand in a row according to last name) Two symbols of
difference generate two linear orders (Students in a row on first name). A
plane can be constructed, where the x,y coordinates are the sequential
positions in the rows. (Aron Abelson will always stay near *(1,1)*, and
Zlotan Zwonimir near the *(n,n) *x,y coordinates of a plane with places for
*n* students). We insist, that the operators *{<,=,>} *are present and
operate.

The linear place and the planar position are an inborn property of pairs of
natural numbers. Anything in the world that is made up of 2 parts, obeys
the sentence *a+b=c.* That, what we observe and perceive are but variations
of this and a few other basic axioms (laws of Nature). In order to restrict
our investigations to a manageable scope, we look only into the
self-organisation of a multitude of *true *sentences as they undergo
periodic changes. If this does not try to model Nature, then what is? The
original and central task of FIS was, and is, to explain the functioning of
theoretical genetics. That is a conceptual operating theatre, where
everything is optimal, no errors are made and no noise is perceived. We try
to see, how a few dozen of true sentences begin self-organising. On a
different level, sorting procedures picture the inundation flows, as the
cells are nourished or transmit information, quite well. In any periodic
process, there will be some that have achieved the goal to x%, while others
are at y%. This is the basis for ranking, ordering, sorting. The survival
of the fittest is a judgement passed down by that lord: sequencing.

The Rubik cube analogy refers to the mechanical constraints of which cubes
are connected with which cubes. You can not move a single cube: it is bound
in a ‘cycle’. In fact, the relations between *(a,b)* being such as they
are, the cycles come in two main varieties: those that appear between
order-related issues, and then the space-related reorders, which we call
the standard reorders. These generate two such spaces, where 3 axes are
rectangular, in both of the spaces. The generation of the two spaces takes
three steps, as the spaces are the result of three sets of planes being in
existence: horizontal, vertical, sagittal. The standard cycles stitch the
planes together.

*But the information I would want to receive from you, in which way you
found out that “a+b=c” can become limited and predictable when knowing more
about the mechanics of permutation and cyclic combination not yet reached
my mind.  *

It is, again, the economy. Will the elements be available at that moment as
prescribed by the progression of the reorder within cycle *k* of the
reorder? Those elements of the cycle that will come later are not with us
in the moment: these elements are outside our logical world, probably we
call them dark matter. Whether they will actually materialise there and
then is a function of the cycle’s resilience and the competitive situation
in the dark shadows behind the scenes.

Cycles are by their nature limited in all their properties. Yet they manage
to raise competitive claims regarding the coming-into-existence or not of
elements. Each element is in many cycles. Its loyalties may be torn. If the
overall battle cry of the day is: reorder *ki **→ kj*, its linear position
in cycle *w *is known. If however it turns out that reorder *kq **→ kr* is
to be executed, it will then activate its properties of belonging to cycle *z
*, there on linear position *k*. This would cause a breakdown of the
system. As we discuss ideal circumstances, one of all those pairs of
reorders has to be eliminated, which does not harmony with its pair. There
remain only a limited number of possible adaptive transformations (reorder
combinations) which can coexist with each other.

The enhanced notation of *(a,b) *for a symbol that describes one case of (*a
*inclusion and *b *exclusion) relations of elements would allow, in later
steps, to keep count of negations, up to a supposed threshold where the
accumulated negations outweigh the assertions and the system undergoes a
transformation.

The most encouraging words in your letter come near the end: if by your
good offices you could facilitate a computing laboratory to assign some
exploratory manpower, that would be great. My last *crí de coeur* was a
contribution to a congress in Cracow 2 or 3 years ago. The article
Picturing Order is addressed to professionals in computer graphics. The
wish list has not changed much since, some new promising indications have
been found that the system of algorithms that can be deducted from the
basic interdependence shown in oeis.org/A242615 could indeed be helpful in
many fields.

A different marketing approach would put forward the same idea under the
title of Prediction Tables. Like multiplication or trigonometrical tables,
a table for predictions would fill a void. Establishing on the basis of
*a+b=c* a collection of possible observations and allowing to sharpen the
predicting capabilities of younger systems, the etalon could become the
fundament to reasoned judgement, the grandfather of artificial
intelligence. When do we deduct that reorder *ki **→ kj* is taking place?
How many and which observations are necessary to establish that reorder *kq
**→ kr *is not taking place? How far removed can the targets of one’s bets
be? Assuming that counting will transform in some fields into a counting of
cycles, periods and rhythms, the Prediction Table will be a central
necessity for the industry.

Thanks for your constructive attitude

Karl