[Fis] whether this useful simulation is information, data or something else?

Karl Javorszky karl.javorszky at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 16:39:28 CEST 2020

Dear Colleges,

There emerges a rather well-defined concept of a “bed” as a tool, in which
to investigate the behaviour of a model undergoing simulation exercises.
The conceptual infrastructure for a laboratory is present.

Why don’t we work in a systematic, scientific fashion and find out, what
modelling and simulating yields in knowledge. The idea is to put *a+b=c* in
the cradle, and watch, how the multitude of true sentences begins
self-organising.

For the study of information, understanding the technical term of
information is helpful, because at least one can say, that the further, the
non-technical, the empirical interpretations of the term information are
different to the technical understanding of information, namely in such
points:; such a clarification would help to keep chasing the fairy.

To clarify the technical meaning of information, one will need a mental
exercise. One should imagine oneself as a Neanderthal to whom the workings
of a pocket watch are explained. The concepts that allow the construction
of a pocket watch are not yet in the mental inventory of the noble savage.
The idea is, that quite a few cycles interact like the wheels and cogs in a
pocket watch. There are only a limited number of possible next moves once
one is in the process of predicting the next move in a process that is
steered by two periodic changes. The instances of *a+b=c *are being
continuously re-sorted, being subject to two periodic changes in
circumstances, always in a position to obey the requirements to both of the
periodic changes impose. (If the day/night periodicity suggests: move to
warmer area, and the tide changes suggest: move to area less turbulent, the
element is in possession of a path, with areas from-to.) The concept of a
move is comparable to one tick of the watch, and is 1/3 of the standard 3
reorders that constitute a temporal and spatial moment with 3 rectangular
axes. The moves happen by means of cycles. Arising from the fact of the
elements being different among each other, the properties that
differentiate the elements among each other transfer to these a linear,
planar, and in some cases, spatial existence. The elements are by their
properties joined in a wheel with other elements together with which they
change place during a reorder. The mechanism of the pocket watch is
comparable to an idealised Rubik cube, where concurrent wheels-cycles run,
and the patterns on the faces of the cube are the appearances which one
perceives and counts. Which combinations of elements can be contemporaneous
is a solvable question, because the properties of the elements had given
them places in linear sequences, positions on planes and at times spatial
positions, too. The properties of the elements are like playing cards at
the beginning of the game: not each of the possible impacts on the game of
a property of an element will be necessarily played out. The point to make
is, that a complete table could be generated which lists all possible games
that can have taken place. We deal with a limited amount of being possibly
different. The whole mechanism can be modelled by a limited number of
wheels.

Information in the technical sense is that part (those teeth) of the cog
that is presently not in the clutch, is presently not engaged. In a Las
Vegas machine: those symbols that are on the wheel but not presently in the
window. This is the background, to which the assertive statement relates.

The remaining alternatives are a part of the setup. Information is not
generated, it has always been with us, the realised or realisable
alternatives being an implication of the properties of the elements, the
non-realised alternatives are as well a part of the package. The background
to a logical statement is generated with the logical statement.

Taking a closer look at the positions of *a+b=c* during periodic
rearrangements, due to external circumstances influencing the habitat,
would allow clarifying expectations vis a vis information. In its
elementary form, information is simply the frame to the picture. As the
sentences become more complex, the stage can be easily reached, where the
inclusion, exclusion notation of group relations suddenly refers to the
figures in the shadows: the truth and validity of sentences remains
identical, whether they refer to states of the world in the foreground or
in the background.

Many more arguments could be put forward to encourage this learned society
to investigate the patterns evolving when a collection of realisations
of *a+b=c
*is subjected to periodic rearrangements. A deeper understanding of the
non-restrictive meanings ascribed to the word information can be achieved
when these connotations are aligned to ideas of predictability and
tenacity. There appears to exist a natural constant for truthfulness, inner
consistence of a state of the assembly, which concept would sound
interesting to philosophers, but to researchers in applied sciences, also.

Best wishes wherever you are

Karl