[Fis] Fwd: whether this useful simulation is information, data or something else?

Christophe Menant christophe.menant at hotmail.fr
Wed Apr 1 14:55:44 CEST 2020

Restent with correct forum address

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Début du message transféré :

Expéditeur: Christophe Menant <christophe.menant at hotmail.fr<mailto:christophe.menant at hotmail.fr>>
Date: 31 mars 2020 à 12:09:13 UTC+2
Destinataire: "annette.grathoff at is4si.org<mailto:annette.grathoff at is4si.org>" <annette.grathoff at is4si.org<mailto:annette.grathoff at is4si.org>>
Cc: Fis <fis-bounces at listas.unizar.es<mailto:fis-bounces at listas.unizar.es>>, Krassimir Markov <markov at foibg.com<mailto:markov at foibg.com>>
Objet: Rép :⁨ [Fis] whether this useful simulation is information, data or something else?⁩

Dear Annette,
Thanks for your answer to the question asked by Krassimir.
What you say implicitly addresses information as agent dependent. An important point, I feel.
Krassimir’s question was also about the differences between information and data, as introduced in his March 26 post (mental models with meaning as information vs mental models without meaning as data). Trying to define information can bring in the need to position it relatively to data, and with it questions about the definition of data, thus making the subject more complex.
These subjects are indeed complex, but perhaps we keep them complex because we don’t take enough into account the different contexts, the audience, where the subjects apply. Perhaps we try to put together things that are too different.
IT meeting participants talk about information as related to data, Shannon, coding and error rate. Biologist relate information to neural signals and chemical transmissions, philosophers consider semantic and syntax, psychologist look at pleasure and reality, an evolutionary approach puts the focus on meaning generation. And so on…
The wordings of our questions can then look as coming from a melting pot containing ideas of Darwin, Bateson, Shannon, Boltzmann, Monod, Prigogine and others. This is very ambitious. Trying to put together the different contexts of a given concept may just be too ambitious for some concepts (think about politics, happiness, religion, ….).
When trying to define information perhaps we should take some more time to address the contexts, the different domains, and then try some domain related definitions. The next step being to see how these definitions can be part of a possible synergy.
That idea is not new. Perhaps this has been addressed in the paper of 2018 Journal of Documentation you refer to (I didn’t succeed accessing it. Could you tell how to do?).
All the best
Christophe