[Fis] New Course Novelties

Marcin SCHROEDER mjs at aiu.ac.jp
Thu Oct 3 09:24:33 CEST 2019

Dear Pedro, Joseph and other FIS colleagues,
I am just starting my work at the new university and I am not yet ready to
engage more substantially in my new responsibilities in IS4SI. However, I
already started teaching and looks like I will be ready with the huge
paperwork soon.
At this moment only few words about chapters. I think it is a very
important direction of the development of IS4SI. The location of biannual
summit changes continent and each time (for obvious reason - cost of
travel) there is shift of the audience. There are many other reasons for
formation of chapters. Probably the most important are continuity and
recruitment of new members. For this reason I proposed in Berkeley to
establish the function of ambassadors of IS4SI understood as local
representatives of the organization in countries when we don't have active
members (e.g. Board members). My proposal was approved at the General
Meeting of IS4SI at the Summit in Berkley.  I was approached by some
participants of the summit with questions about the possibility to start a
local chapter. For instance, Rafal Maciag from Jagiellonian University in
Krakow, Poland volunteered to recruit members for the chapter and to
coordinate its formation. There are many people interested in the study of
information in Poland (there are uasually some participants from Poland at
IS4SI summits), but there is no organization of this type with interests
outside of computer science. I am thinking about formation of Japanese
chapter. I talked to (interested) individuals from other countries (e.g.
Romania, Italy).
The main issue is that the people who are engaged in the formation of a
chapter need some authority to recruit members for IS4SI, i.e. to identify
themselves as representing IS4SI. For this reason (and for other reasons),
I think it will be good to have ambassadors.
Regards,
Marcin

Marcin J. Schroeder
mjs at aiu.ac.jp