[Fis] "the mother of information"

Krassimir Markov markov at foibg.com
Mon Jan 21 21:58:02 CET 2019

Dear Pedro, Jose Luis and FIS colleagues,
Now in Sofia we finish the students’ exams and I have a little time to analyze the posts.

First of all, I agree with Pedro that “consciousness may well be considered as "the mother of information" “!

At the second place, I want to comment the case with open and closed eyes:
“ ... the entropy associated with subjects closing their eyes is lower than that calculated with eyes open.
Obviously, one is equally conscious with eyes open or closed (unless one is sleeping!).
Thus, what does this mean? “

There are several hypothesizes about this phenomenon.

I prefer the hypothesis about combination of the incoming sensors’ signals with signals coming from the long and short term memory.
Schematically, Jeff Hawkins  in his book “On Intelligence” (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Intelligence)

presented this by following scheme:

In other words, by closing eyes, one eliminates the need of combination and comparison of incoming signals with ones that are coming from the memory.

If the incoming signals are ignored anyway, the process continue with combination  and comparison of sequences of sets (gestalts) of signals from memory which are more organized than incoming ones.

So,  in sensor areas, as result from comparison of both kinds of signals one assumes that given set (gestalt) of signals is information or not.

In General Information Theory (GIT) ( http://www.foibg.com/ijita/vol14/ijita14-1-p01.pdf),  the incoming set (gestalt) of signals from the sensors is called “reflection” and the set of signals (gestalt) coming from the memory is called “information expectation”.

Friendly greetings
Krassimir

------
Krassimir Markov, PhD
Honorary professor
University of Telecommunications and Post
Sofia, Bulgaria
president at ithea.org