[Fis] Fwd: Further comments

Pedro C. Marijuan pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es
Mon Jan 21 18:43:59 CET 2019

Dear All,

Thanks to Xueshan for his preview of the next discussion session he will
lead. I would ask him and the other parties who have just responded to
wait a little. Our "tradition" of the New Year Lecture is that it lasts
until the end of January. During the rest of the current Lecture we can
do something that can be of interest: to air the way each one's views on
information relate to consciousness. For instance, in my own case I left
that crucial aspect in complete obscurity, in the underground, when I
referred to the ten principles of information science.

More related to the present discussion, I have always following the
ideas drafted by Kenneth Paul Collins (1989) in his unpublished
manuscript: "On the Automation of Knowledge within Central Nervous
Systems". In my comment on Jose Luis' stuff, I made a mix with the ideas
of both sides (but I had misunderstood the Figure on the entropy
variation). Collins' key idea was the definition of a neurodynamic
entropy based on the summation of excitation/inhibition ratios in the
topographically distributed areas of the CNS. Then, variations of
entropy corresponded with the development of adaptive behavior (and
synaptic encoding), with very nice insights by Kenneth to map basic
behaviors such as aggression, sadness, curiosity, high-level thought,
etc. Reformulating these topodynamic insights in terms of the new
achievement on connectomics, network science, criticality, and ideas
such as those of Jose Luis and Ramon --couldn't it be a timely
enterprise? Naturalizing the study of consciousness so that we see
reflected our most important behavioral drives has general importance
beyond the neurosciences themselves.

But the above refers somehow to a few basic dynamics of correlates, and
lacks a series of "engines" that keep the conscious going on according
to the inside and the outside, the sensory and the motor, the low level
and the high level, the emotional and the rational. As a result the
enigmatic consciousness is carrying the possibility to alter in a fluid
way the focus of contemplation of the world. So it provides "de gratis"
properties that we assign or share with the most general notions of
information, in particular those associated to "meaning". It may reduce
the complexity of the surroundings in an astonishing way, so that we may
see tiniest details together with highly integrative drives of other
agents. It provides space, time, and a myriad of different adaptive
percepts/acts or "cognits" for Joaquin Fuster (2009), and all the
intricacies around our social lives (narratives)... In my view,
consciousness may well be considered as "the mother of information." But
before descending into this underground, a lot of work has to be done in
the surface, co-ordinating the different approaches, as I have
postulated around the life cycle.

Anyhow, let us risk some exercising around the conscious, even only for
ten days...
Best--Pedro

It is true that the current discussion  El 10/01/2019 a las 13:07, jose
luis perez velazquez escribió:

> [...]

Pedro C. Marijuán

pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es

---