[Fis] Anticipatory Systems--"Potential"

Bruno Marchal marchal at ulb.ac.be
Fri Nov 23 12:12:47 CET 2018

Hi Joseph,

> On 21 Nov 2018, at 09:31, Joseph Brenner <joe.brenner en bluewin.ch> wrote:
>
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> Pedro’s approach, solidly anchored in biology, allows for progress in understanding. Two comments on his ‘logic’: 1) I would not call the ‘concoction’ within which we live imaginary. It is rather a set of real, dynamic mental processes, with actual and potential, effectively causal components. 2) ‘Complex life’ instantiates potential (and kinetic) energy not only in a ‘book keeping role’. Complex life is constituted by actual and potential energy evolving in cycles and stages. Some myths (Epimetheus and Prometheus) correctly express this duality and its evolution.
>
> Unfortunately, there is another myth that I believe correctly models part of Jerry’s proposals. It is that of Procrustes, an innkeeper who stretched or cut the legs of his guests to make them fit the only available beds, until taken care of by Heracles. You write:   A lot more needs to be said about the intimate nature of relations among scientific narratives before one can bind the logic of the perplex number system to the grammars associated with mathematically structured anticipatory systems.
>
> This sentence needs to be parsed, given the concatenation of terms: in my opinion, the purpose of understanding the relations among scientific narratives is to understand real anticipatory systems, whether or not mathematically structured. Perplex numbers are artificial numerological constructions with a corresponding logic that may or may not apply to other artificial constructions, such as abstract anticipatory systems, without dynamics. Narratives about real science could be applied in principle to such questions, but the implication must be avoided that such application would tell us anything about reality.

Which reality?

> I cannot accept any manipulation of numbers as being more than a posteriori. This applies also to Karl’s approach.

It applies to all Mechanist theory of mind. If Mechanism is true, physics cannot be the fundamental science, and is recovered by the anticipation-calculus (Plotinusand Plato’s bastard calculus) on all possible computations going through my brain state.

> Also, the concept of an ‘in-formed’ number is an oxymoron, although I understand the attempt to ascribe ‘value-by-association’, so to speak. Numbers cannot accept ‘form’, or its meaning; they exist, eternally, outside the world of form and change.

Like a Block universe in general relativity. Time is an indexical: it is a construction of the mind of the relative numbers.

> I thus stress the importance of Pedro’s statement:  processes do not go smoothly upwards from the quantum level. As one proceeds to higher levels of reality, there are discontinuities and different laws apply.

OK. But that is the case in arithmetic when seen from inside.

> One only notes the presence of some isomorphisms, such as the failure of some macroscopic process equations to commute or distribute. Finally, I, at least, will resist any attempts to let in, through the back door, anti-scientific concepts of quantum processes in mind and cognition.

I follow you on this. With mechanism, we explain the quantum from the mathematics of what a machine can say about the computations going through her state. The quantum aspect of nature is explained by elementary arithmetic, with definitions which can be motivated through thought experience, or taken from Plato (they are quite standard one).

I guess you assume non-mechanism, which makes then coherent to invoke some ontological “physical reality”. But as this is what I want to explain, I prefer to avoid any ontological commitment, as we have to do when doing metaphysics/theology with the scientific attitude. For the application, that is a different matter, but I take the quantum and the physical in general as something that we have to explain (as this follows from the mechanist assumption). It is testable and tested, and up to now, this works well, so to invoke a material reality is at the least premature, I think.

All the best,

Bruno