[Fis] Anticipatory Systems--"Potential"

Pedro C. Marijuan pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es
Sat Nov 24 21:16:17 CET 2018

Dear FISers,

My only addition to the below would be a further reflection on what
"potential" could mean when applied to the life course of a human
individual or other complex living. If we go too fast in the connection
with physics, we may leave aside some very interesting aspects,
precisely the deep connection with the humanities. It is an intriguing
coincidence that perhaps the two best works on narratives (Booker 2004;
Bonnet, 2006; that I have already mentioned) are both written... from
the perspective of Jungian psychology/psychiatry. Terms such as
archetypes, unconscious, complexes, repression, initiation, regression,
shadow, rebirth, etc.  appear not always with a clear necessity. I mean
their profound analysis of narratives (the former more concerned with
the literary, the latter with the filmic) probably could be crafted in a
more neutral conceptualization. I do not consider unscientific the
Jungian stance, but not quite scientific either. Mobilizing the
unconscious is one of the crucial points to handle by the effective
narrative according to these authors. But what is the unconscious? It is
not far more accurate considering the brain-rest activation of
contemporary neuroscience (Default Mode Network) as taking charge of
that involuntary emergence of impressions and deep memories? And,
similarly, does not "potential" refer to cognitive/anticipatory
capabilities that somehow detect higher fitness possibilities along some
behavioral paths than others, and then conduce to the long term
realization and flourishing of a life cycle? The potential belongs, say,
to the "processual" not to the physical. In my view, the general
challenge is to re-explain narratives, the fundamental commodity of
social communication, in a more advanced conceptualization, beyond the
Jungian, the Shannonian, or the corrosive fake-correctedness  of our
times... It can be done. The neuroscientific approach would be badly
needed to recreate the terminology and the fundamental ideas.

Best regards
--Pedro

  El 21/11/2018 a las 9:31, Joseph Brenner escribió:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> Pedro’s approach, solidly anchored in biology, allows for progress in
> understanding. Two comments on his ‘logic’: 1) I would not call the
> ‘concoction’ within which we live imaginary. It is rather a set of
> real, dynamic mental processes, with actual and potential, effectively
> causal components. 2) ‘Complex life’ instantiates potential (and
> kinetic) energy not only in a ‘book keeping role’. Complex life is
> constituted by actual and potential energy evolving in cycles and
> stages. Some myths (Epimetheus and Prometheus) correctly express this
> duality and its evolution.
>
> Unfortunately, there is another myth that I believe correctly models
> part of Jerry’s proposals. It is that of Procrustes, an innkeeper who
> stretched or cut the legs of his guests to make them fit the only
> available beds, until taken care of by Heracles. You write: A lot more
> needs to be said about the intimate nature of relations among
> scientific narratives before one can bind the logic of the perplex
> number system to the grammars associated with mathematically
> structured anticipatory systems.
>
> This sentence needs to be parsed, given the concatenation of terms: in
> my opinion, the purpose of understanding the relations among
> scientific narratives is to understand real anticipatory systems,
> whether or not mathematically structured. Perplex numbers are
> artificial numerological constructions with a corresponding logic that
> may or may not apply to other artificial constructions, such as
> abstract anticipatory systems, without dynamics. Narratives about real
> science could be applied in principle to such questions, but the
> implication must be avoided that such application would tell us
> anything about reality.
>
> I cannot accept any manipulation of numbers as being more than /a
> posteriori. /This applies also to Karl’s approach. Also, the concept
> of an ‘in-/formed/’ number is an oxymoron, although I understand the
> attempt to ascribe ‘value-by-association’, so to speak. Numbers cannot
> accept ‘form’, or its meaning; they exist, eternally, outside the
> world of form and change.
>
> I thus stress the importance of Pedro’s statement:  processes do not
> go smoothly upwards from the quantum level.As one proceeds to higher
> levels of reality, there are discontinuities and different laws apply.
> One only notes the presence of some isomorphisms, such as the failure
> of some macroscopic process equations to commute or distribute.
> Finally, I, at least, will resist any attempts to let in, through the
> back door, anti-scientific concepts of quantum processes in mind and
> cognition.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Joseph

Pedro C. Marijuán