[Fis] FW: Social Information/Communication Theory

Joseph Brenner joe.brenner at bluewin.ch
Thu Nov 15 10:27:35 CET 2018

Dear Colleagues,

If I am sitting or standing awake in a room by myself, I am immersed
(in-sea-d) in a sea of information, internal and external. If I am too long
by myself however, without doing anything, I will become ‘bored’ (borne,
passive); muscle and mental tonus go down. Change arrives in two (or more)
forms, also internal and external. For example, I could decide to write a
note, which is at first a potential social communication of information
(presence) to be actualized (still absence). Alternatively, a cat or another
person enters the room adding new general information and social information
defined as information about another living being I must deal with. What
also arrives is the potential of a new social communication (presence)
assuming I am socialized, that is, capable of internalizing (feeling the
value of) the social information brought by the new occupant of the room.

I would only add pace Szent Gyorgi: 1) to call the ocean of information
‘seamless’, as if it were ‘material’, in the two senses of the word,
obscures its dynamic process aspects, as does 2) the substance metaphor
(‘extraordinary substance’). The substance paradigm is a story, if you will,
but it should not be used in the same way as non-stories (science).

My plea is therefore for the use of process language in discussing
information. Potential–actual and presence-absence language (Deacon), which
is NOT metaphorical, seems appropriate.

Thank you and best wishes,

Joseph

  _____