[Fis] Niklas Luhmann

Joseph Brenner joe.brenner at bluewin.ch
Sun Oct 18 22:17:33 CEST 2015

Dear Colleagues,

I am sorry but I cannot sit still when I see unqualified references to Niklas Luhmann as some kind of unqualified genius. As far as I am concerned, the situation has not changed since 2009 when I wrote the following in an article "Prolegomenon to a Logic for the Information Society": Luhmann’s functionalist definition of isolated systems took human beings as agents out of his system, and replaced them with abstractions. As Leydesdorff shows, Luhmannian structures can be defined analytically, but that is not sufficient for an informational theory of society.

I note also Sören Brier's statement on p. 402 of his great book, Cybersemiotics, that "Luhmann failed to develop a concept of meaning that relates to the flesh, blood and life conditions of biological systems or to the existential conditions of human consciousness". He refers on the same page to the "impasse of Luhmann's functionalism".

Earlier, Christian Fuchs had stated that  “The function of Luhmann’s theory for society is that it is completely useless”. Luhmann is one of those authors it is possible to get excited about; the above is intended to show that other interpretations of its value are possible.

Best regards,

Joseph