[Fis] life cycles

Pedro C. Marijuan pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es
Fri Oct 9 13:25:31 CEST 2015

 Dear FIS colleagues,

The comments by Stan and Koichiro are intriguing. Particularly if we
swap the term energy for information (communication exchanges). What
kind of communication relationship develops between the living and the
environment along the advancement of the life cycle? How does this
relate to complexity? Maybe the endless repetition of cycles, when an
inner coding is included, can take both directions: the increase of
complexity and also the decrease. Stephen Gould made good arguments
about that: organismic complexity may actually decrease in certain
environments, as dramatically happens for instance in Mycobacteria
Pneumonia, one of the simplest living (autonomous) organisms. The life
cycle imposes its adaptive rules to which complexity should passively
follow... The prokaryotic biomass still predominates and rules the
geocycles of the Planet.

Steven and Jerry have made another series of interesting comments, to
which I would like to ad. The discussion of locality is a preliminary
aspect, as in my view the nitty-gritty occurs afterwards. What happens
along the relatively delocalized "propagation of influence" of the
received signal? The ample self-modification & self-reconfiguration that
follows is the essential topic: all the other attributes & concepts
associated to information both as communication and as self-production
would hang from the events which surround this flow of influence.
Nothing like that web of physical self-modification occurs in the
artificial computing: the hardware is very, very hard. Adaptive
self-reconfiguration could be a more or less adequate technicality, but
actually it is the production of palpable "meaning". It is the
intertwining of communication and self-production, endlessly in action,
repeating the cycle of life --a back of the envelope estimation would
tell that more than 3 x 10 exp 14 times has been running the roulette of
the life cycle in each one of the existing lines of descent...

Best wishes to all

--Pedro

Koichiro Matsuno wrote:

> At 4:38 AM 10/6/2015, Stan wrote:
>

> Then we need to consider which life cycle we are going to
> investigate.  One conversation? The duration of conference?, etc.
>
>   Cycles are really enigmatic. Listening to the same old story
> repeating itself may sound tedious. However, there is one exception.
> If each turn of repetition is affinitive in recruiting something new
> from the outside while replacing some of the predecessor already
> there, the cycle can constantly be updated. The whole enterprise is
> empirically structural. In addition,  repeating oneself can be
> guaranteed even on the thermodynamic ground alone. If adiabatic
> processes are allowed to intervene, they can assume two roles at the
> same time. One is to feed upon the available resources as fast as
> possible. One more is to install a highly complicated pathway of
> energy flow full of cycles to dissipate the intake at the similar fast
> rate so as to make both ends of the inlet and outlet to meet. While
> the intake of the resources proceeds through the surface of the
> organized whole of those cycles, the dissipation takes place in the
> entire volume of the organization. Thus, enhancing the volume of the
> organized web of those cycles may be a natural consequence for meeting
> the greater rate of resource intake. Of course, chemistry can provide
> a lot of material hardware to implement such a prescient web of cycles.
>

>    Koichiro

Pedro C. Marijuán
Avda. San Juan Bosco, 13, planta X
50009 Zaragoza, Spain