[Fis] [Fwd: Information And Locality, Addendum's]--Steven

Pedro C. Marijuan pcmarijuan.iacs at aragon.es
Fri Oct 2 14:00:17 CEST 2015

Dear Steven and FIS colleagues,

Sorry about the problems with the server. Next messages, please, send
them directly to me and I will re-enter.

The approach to locality you have explained is interesting. In general
it looks right, as biological information can be widely delocalized,
relatively delocalized, but also strictly localized. Apart from your
examples on allosterism and receptor synergistic action, the gradients
of second messengers and the transmembrane transmission of signaling
effects in other receptors may be instances of the relative class, and
the base pairing of nucleotides would correspond to the localized class.
If I am not wrong, it is quite difficult to shoehorn into a single
category the bioinfo architectures of the cell. Therefore in general I
use the "info flow" parlance, for the result of the cell's communication
with the environment is quite often a Brownian flow or an "influence"
(mostly of the delocalized class) that travels towards the action
centers of the cell --the transcription factors that guide gene expression.

Then, arriving at that instance, I have some disagreement in the way
Guenther speaks about the syntactic-semantic-pragmatic rules applying to
any sign-system of natural biocommunication language. Imagine, following
with the previous paragraph, that we have just received (E. coli) a puff
of cAMP signal from the environment. It has been trapped by some
receptors of a two component system and some activated transcription
factors  CRP type travel to express around 400 different genes. Of
course, it previously depends on the dominant sigma factors (if sigma 70
dominates, it is OK, otherwise there might be problems with the previous
sequence). Well, most of this narrative is fictitious, but the problem
is how do you express in "rule-mediated" statements this type of
half-known tremendous complexity? How do you handle the very different
signaling capabilities/properties of one component systems, two
components, three components, and above all, the sigma factors --that in
my view are most of them essential for connecting with the life cycle;
they represent the equivalent to our "moods" and "emotions". Otherwise I
think he is quite right in the conflation of signs and sign-users at the
sub-viral level. I consider it, potentially, a breakthrough
complementing the symbiotic theory of Lynn Margulis with a new viral
(sub-viral) branch, plus the well-known archeal and eubacterial ones.

Unfortunately, the neglect of the life cycle is almost universal.
Neither neuroscientists nor psychologists nor social scientists are
sufficiently aware of this invisible "water" that permeates all living
stuff. Echoing some old evolutionary statement, everything should made
sense in relation with the advancement of the corresponding life cycle.
Just the superficial observation of human exchanges in our societies, or
in whatever historical epoch, the conversational small-talk topics, the
way people greet each other, the gossip media... the condensates of the
individuals' info cycles are everywhere. A new conceptualization of
information as accompanying the development of human action for the sake
of life cycles and subtending the cooperation structures of economic
life could have wide multidisciplinary interest--I think.
(Unfortunately, these adventures are discouraged: Mark is terribly right
about the sorrow state of our collective brain reservoirs--poor
universities! kingdoms of conventionalism and tunnel vision).

To conclude, the emphasis on the generative also allows some connection
with Howard's and Bob's  criticisms on the "dead"  approach to
cosmological matters.  I do not venture to expose my own naive views,
rather will repeat a wonderful sentence from Michael Conrad (1996):
"When we look at a biological system we are looking at the face of the
underlying physics of the universe."

best--Pedro

Pedro C. Marijuan wrote:
> (From Steven)