[Fis] Comments on Questions from Katherine Peil

Louis Kauffman loukau at gmail.com
Mon May 13 10:27:50 CEST 2024

Dear Mark,
At this point, I use up this week’s quota.
It is certainly possible to design a system,  e.g. a cellular automaton,  that has a condition of homeostasis and will react to perturbations by restoring its structure up to a point.
The original Maturana, Uribe,Varela model has this property. And here is a more complex example.
I am using Golly.
Golly runs Conway Life and variants of it.
Programming it at the simplest level is just entering a code like I write below that specifies a rule.
You can download it for free from the site
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://golly.sourceforge.io__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!RixRO7_2ovnEvpuN3QzG6PaKCn2efieAHoiA3qQH_HMz3GjjX5ETx7cdpTYBUHxk3Fk-wSbZEW8ODXYd$

My design is called “stasis” and has the rule
B37/S4567
This means that a box is born if it has 3 or 7 neighbors and survives if it has 4,5,6 or 7 neighbors.
This is on a rectangular grid.
The resulting configurations can grow quite large but they usually reach an “eigenstate” that is just oscillating and not growing.
If you perturb this state, the “animal” will react to go back to homeostasis.
Try it!

Of course such models are very simple, but they do “breathe” and if we had a big system that was alive in this sense it could “experience” its own
Wanderings toward and away from the eigenform.
Best,
Lou