[Fis] Comments on Questions from Katherine Peil

Dr. Plamen L. Simeonov plamen.l.simeonov at gmail.com
Mon May 13 00:31:50 CEST 2024

Dear Mark, Joe, Lou, Alex and All,

On Sun, May 12, 2024 at 11:22 PM Mark Johnson <johnsonmwj1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Joe, Alex, Lou, Plamen,
>
> I think non-commutativity has to be a fundamental property of a logic of
> breathing.

Since Alain Connes and Alex Grothedieck, I am also inclined to think so.

To Joe: as for the quantum aspect of breathing, I was thinking in terms of
specific rationalized *discrete* portioning of energy gain/accumulation and
dissemination known from Planck's black body problem and required for
*continuous
*physiological "flow" processes like running, swimming, deep diving, etc.
since Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. It was not my intention to relate this to
superposition, entanglement or other particle QM phenomena. Almost all
breathing techniques from Yoga Pranayama and Zen meditation to modern times
performance training (Wim Hof, Buteyko) are based on stringent periods for
breathing in, out and keeping breath to accumulate energy in *quanta* with
different physiological outcomes.
These are of course processes and could be modelled with process logic, but
the devil hides in the details which are of empirical nature

It is necessary for providing the organic broken symmetry of living things
> - hard to imagine anything commutative that could "live" (see for example, Nature’s
> Code | AIP Conference Proceedings | AIP Publishing
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://pubs.aip.org/aip/acp/article-abstract/1051/1/117/845700/Nature-s-Code?redirectedFrom=PDF__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!Wo04bod0nSR5P6b5D1_toPx4qGblvHxWJVabX9B3AHyP7hC_4oRkS3gWSJWjE5u86I_YPFPuk3VjkFcO9KF68ScEIQ28$ >).
> I agree that the word "quantum" has become unhelpful. The issue is the
> mathematics which helps us to see the logic of quantum mechanical phenomena
> - i.e. geometric algebra (Hestenes, Rowlands, Kauffman). I'm not sure about
> distributivity - GA is distributive... can you explain?

Hestenes is good at explaining physics and engineering. but there is still
more required for coming closer to modeling life.
Non-commutativity is a good starting point, I think.

I've been thinking a lot about Gordon Pask recently, and particularly the
> geometric diagrams he produced at the end of his "Interaction of Actors
> theory" which he wrote with Gerard de Zeeuw. I recently wrote to Gerard to
> ask what he remembered about this work - and particularly the oblique
> reference Pask made to Hamilton and Clifford at the end. He replied with a
> fascinating account of their discussions about order, but not about
> geometric algebra.
>
> Of course, Pask was wanting to account for conversation and concepts, but
> breathing must have entered his thinking.

That's good! All these works provide a good base, but there is still more
to demand.

> I want to suggest that the breathing is in these diagrams in the space
> around the "carapace". Of course, it's a process featuring vectors (the
> blank T lines), and bivectors (the rotating carapace/shell constraining the
> lines), and (perhaps) trivector/pseudoscalars in the orthogonal force
> exerted on other processes - essentially a "relation". What's missing from
> Pask is a scalar.

I am afraid that all these Grassmann style technicalities are insufficient
to grasp the essence of breathing as multifaceted phenomenon.

> What if the scalar is "noise"? - disturbance to the vectors, the shell
> constraining the vectors, and the relations between systems. Breathing then
> could be the result of this disturbance - a kind of resonance in the whole
> system with the universe, which maintains equipoise while also contributing
> to the noise of the environment as a result of breathing.

Resonance as quality of breathing brings it closer to M/string theory
rather than vector analysis and GA which are typical for Einstein's models
of the universe.

> There is a positional shift in this view in that it suggests that we don't
> so much breathe to live, but live to breathe. Our breathing performs a
> fundamental systemic function in the wider system.

It is a multilateral function, like most other functions of the other
organs.
The mere fact that it is usually autonomous, but can be also set
under complete control of the individual means that the outcomes of
exercising can be of fundamental nature: from leveraging an athlete's
physical performance to extension of consciousness.

Sorry if this sounds a bit vague - but this has been on my mind.

It is good, Mark. I made my note and hope that the others did too.

All the best.

Plamen

> Best wishes,
>
> Mark
>
> On Sun, 12 May 2024 at 16:13, joe.brenner at bluewin.ch <
> joe.brenner at bluewin.ch> wrote:
>
>> Dear Mark, Plamen and others who have referred to a quantum or quantum
>> kind of logic,
>>
>> I follow your thought and insights, but your use of the term "quantum" is
>> superfetatory. What I think you are looking for is a logic whose terms,
>> like those of quantum logic, do not commute or distribute.
>>
>> What is true of the quantum domain is true analytically - particle-wave
>> duality, *etc. *What is true of the thermodynamic domain - actuality
>> moving to potentiality and *v.v. *is true synthetically. Its logic is a
>> dynamic logic of processes, not quanta, and the terms of such a dynamic
>> process logic can be said to "breathe", accordingly.
>>
>> Best,
>> Joseph

>>> Mobile (Intn'l): +44 7710 534195