[Fis] The ternary logic. Neutrosophic logic. Bayesian (pattern) logic

Momme von Sydow momme at von-sydow.de
Thu May 2 20:31:27 CEST 2024

There is an interesting *field of normative modelling and empirical
research at the intersection of logics and probability in psychology and
philosophy as well.* One has to distinguish ternary logics, many-valued
logics, fuzzy logic, quantum probability accounts applied to logical
issues. Particularly interesting, in my view, are some accounts,
adressing apparent deviations from normative probability theory and
logics (like the Conjunction fallacy).

I allow myself to draw your attention to *Bayesian Logic* (or Bayesian
pattern logic), that I have been working on. This is an inductive,
probabilistic logic, concerned with the classical (16 combinatorically
possible) binary logical connectives of propositional logics. It is
based on standard Kolmogorov probabilities, but is concerned with
logical *patterns* (probabilistic analogues of truth tables as a whole).
The logic assigns priors, likelihoods (based on frequency data) and
posteriors to probability tables as wholes. This may sound quite
standard Bayesian, but the results here differ strongly from
(extensional) probabilities which use relative frequencies or subjective
probability measures (based on priors and likelihoods based on relative
frequencies) more directly. Bayesian logics instead provides a kind of
rational re-formulation of intensional (<> intentional) probability. The
'emergent' intensional probability linked to the pattern of a particilar
connector differs substantially from the composing standard extensional
probabilities. In my ideosyncratic view this logic seems to provide a
rational reconstruction for a number of biases discussed in psychology
and philosophy as supposedly irrational. For instance it allows a
logical conjunction A AND B to be more probable than inclusive
disjunction A OR B (or both), which would not be possible using
Kolmorgorov probabilities with logical connectives more directly.

Of course, this parsimonic Bayesian logic, on its normative side, is
required to make assumtions, in particular that random variables are iid
(otherwise it would fall pray to the Humean problem of induction) and it
is only developed and empirically supported (as minority position) as an
inductive logic. It is not jet developed in the traditional core field
of logic, i.e. that of reasoning and drawing inferences. Nonetheless,
perhaps someone wants to have a look at it.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228529771_The_Bayesian_logic_of_frequency-based_conjunction_fallacies__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!Wkpc6gXEAUa7vTN073irJvmiGFm1M04ePrzamc3puONiLj0j7VhXXNyOKSfhw7vlOZkl9aV2Cf3k1dD6zyBvCQ$
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.researchgate.net/publication/289489883_Towards_a_Pattern-Based_Logic_of_Probability_Judgements_and_Logical_Inclusion_Fallacies__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!Wkpc6gXEAUa7vTN073irJvmiGFm1M04ePrzamc3puONiLj0j7VhXXNyOKSfhw7vlOZkl9aV2Cf3k1dD4d49YjQ$
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316248863_Rational_and_Semi-Rational_Explanations_of_the_Conjunction_Fallacy_A_Polycausal_Approach_Momme_von_Sydow__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!Wkpc6gXEAUa7vTN073irJvmiGFm1M04ePrzamc3puONiLj0j7VhXXNyOKSfhw7vlOZkl9aV2Cf3k1dC06pUjIw$
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.researchgate.net/publication/326719115_Is_there_a_Monadic_as_well_as_a_Dyadic_Bayesian_Logic_Two_Logics_Explaining_Conjunction_'Fallacies'?_sg*5B0*5D=off0L4Q8oHh8xAUUBUFcPOxlGLfGnPAHbDZSx7Vmtq11m8Z4n2X9-QKquQAnyiRHJX6abs99Qd8X6_IYBEU1YtiNV37Z9OBgNc8O_IhY.-X-5XcXwnj-KbyGiVCkbIQR3ORzC5PNiSdTAiU6-_3V3YIUO5up--0oidXT4bHC1wZVBtQG5bmHHu9eXLuVVbA&_tp=eyJjb250ZXh0Ijp7ImZpcnN0UGFnZSI6InB1YmxpY2F0aW9uIiwicGFnZSI6InByb2ZpbGUiLCJwb3NpdGlvbiI6InBhZ2VDb250ZW50In19__;JSU!!D9dNQwwGXtA!Wkpc6gXEAUa7vTN073irJvmiGFm1M04ePrzamc3puONiLj0j7VhXXNyOKSfhw7vlOZkl9aV2Cf3k1dCt6Ou4RA$

Sorry, don't want to provide Spam, in this mailing list, which I do
value very much. But sometimes  - as you know - aspects of the 'TAO'
could be revealed by technicalities ;-)

Best regards Momme

Dr. Dr. Momme v. Sydow
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.von-sydow.de__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!Wkpc6gXEAUa7vTN073irJvmiGFm1M04ePrzamc3puONiLj0j7VhXXNyOKSfhw7vlOZkl9aV2Cf3k1dA03k3Mpw$