[Fis] An Unbeatable Tradition? Ten Principles

Pedro C. Marijuán pedroc.marijuan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 19:35:32 CET 2024

Dear All,

Thanks a lot for the learned exchanges. Herewith I am responding to some
few previous ones.

First, to Howard, who takes the information metaphor inside the
subatomic world and, seemingly, "reifies" it. As a style resource it may
be fine, but in scientific discourse it does not fit well. As an
opposite case, the "founded fathers" of molecular biology (physicists
many of them--Crick, Gamow, Delbruck...) enshrined the
info/communicating metaphor for all the new phenomena discovered: codes,
transcription, translation, signals, messengers... No one put any
question, maybe because it was making a robust inner sense. Deepening
into that is what we try here.

Stuart has to be thanked for his detailed responses. He has both
expanded (& synthesized) the topics of his recent publications.
Nevertheless, my own emphasis is that this kind of ideas are very
suitable to argument on them, but even more to build upon them, and to
try to advance in new directions. As a reminder I am going to rebuild
some my own "ten principles of information science" which I posted years
ago. I was also discussing the idea of "principles" in science (in a
paper that appeared in Chinese, with Bilin and Wukun). Principles become
amazing thought economizers, convergence makers, trail openers... don't'
we need them herein?? There are wonderful citations from Whitehead about
that (and of course, from Ortega y Gasset, my favorite).  Anyhow, here
there are those selected ten:

1. Information is /distinction on //the adjacent /(the DOTA hypothesis,
as John Holgate dubbed it).

2. Information processes consist in organized action upon distinctions
collected onto space-time patterns, sequences, structures, messages, or
flows.

3. Information flows become essential organizers of life's
self-production processes – anticipating, shaping, and mixing up with
the accompanying energy flows. /The life cycle main outcome./

4. Proto-phenomena of meaning, knowledge, and cognition (& intelligence)
emerge via the signaling system and the genetic system of the living
cell—fully developed later on in multicellulars via the
action/perception cycle of central nervous systems.

5. Information/communication exchanges among adaptive life-cycles
underlie the complexity of biological organization at all scales.

6. It is symbolic language what conveys the essential communication
exchanges of human individuals—and constitutes the core of their "social
nature."

7. Human information can be transformed into efficient knowledge by
following the "knowledge instinct", further disciplined and delimited by
applying rigorous methodologies.

8. Human cognitive limitations are partially overcome via specialized
disciplines, to be caught in "knowledge ecologies", where knowledge
circulates and recombines socially in a continuous actualization that
involves "creative destruction" of theories, practices, and disciplines.

9. Narratives become encapsulated information forms of “natural
intelligence”, tailored to capture our collective attention and memory,
and essential for the cohesion of social, political, and economic
structures.

10. Information science proposes a new, radical vision on how
information and knowledge surround individual lives, with profound
consequences for scientific-philosophical practice and for social
governance.

And concerning Plamen (with Marcus, both may be partially responded with
some of the above points), I would argue that in the convergence /
divergence play we all make with the lens of the thematic focus, he has
taken the latter. It would quite useful for a next planned discussion
session, chaired by Arran Gare, on general problems of science and
science education (approx.). About Free Will and Consciousness, I would
say they appear gradually along the evolutionary complexification of
nervous systems. I remember Gerald Edelman saying that in invertebrates
at the level of lobsters there already appears a proto-consciousness
(maybe to tease his hedonistic lobster-eater colleagues?), not to speak
in Octopus (already cited in this list, and a great mention in Steele et
al. paper sent by Plamen--by the way, have a glance on "geometric
constraints on human brain evolution", Nature 15 June, 2023, p.566--on
resonant activity modes just derived from brain's geometry). Finally I
quite concur with Marcus... "So I am unsure what to do with Aristotle’s
four causes in current exchanges."

Best --Pedro

--
Este correo electrónico ha sido analizado en busca de virus por el software antivirus de Avast.
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.avast.com__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!UNdgsba3EC43cFdrosLEXYnSfL5im_F4UJ3FB36nJvsknkKfIBEtZ4yd3Kw57fuw7BYtkLSoQWYGnpCiWU_ejGxnypcM$