[Fis] An Unbeatable Tradition?

Pedro C. Marijuán pedroc.marijuan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 17:32:37 CET 2024

Dear All,

While watching the evolution of our discussions in this NY Lecture
focused on the "Third Transition" I have the impression that physics
becomes an inexorable attractor, the necessary end of any civilized
discussion on information. Precisely, the initial arguments were about
living organisms creating ever new ways of "getting to exist",
adaptively constructing new-in-the-universe possibilities--with their
exploration of the adjacent-possible going outside of the Newtonian
paradigm... Fine, very fine.

My contention is that in the last decades we have heard many times that
rejection of the Newtonian but seemingly we cannot advance in the
development of truly independent views, post-Newtonian and
non-physicalist anchored (about information). Not aspiring to any
universality about the conceptions of this independent informational
exploration of life--at least shouldn't it be attempted?? Once some
basics could be cohered and decently developed, it might provide some
interesting complementarity with the endless conundrums on its and bits
by physicist and computerist colleagues. Michael Conrad (who in the 70s
and 80s was already arguing about the unpicturability of enzyme
function) put an interesting comment: /_"When we look at a biological
system we are looking at the face of the underlying physics of the
universe"_/ (in BioSystems, 38, 1996, p.108). Quite enigmatic. So, an
unexpected convergence might be found finally--but not mandating it at
the very beginning.

As I briefly argued days ago, the adjacent possible may be considered in
a variety of time-scales. The infamous "What is it to be done?" (in
Spanish, the concise "Qué hacer?" ) may be repeated for cells, for
organisms, for humans, for societies... Or in other more frivolous
words, "Qué será, será... the future's not ours to see". No wonder that
all these kinds of informational creatures are endlessly looking for
"signals", to march towards truly adaptive adjacent possibles. Our new
knowledge on Prokaryotic signaling systems, on how they are intertwined
with the advancement of the life cycle, points exactly in that
direction: exploring the external/internal environment so to self-orient
towards adaptive outcomes. They were the First Ones. Our own nervous
system continuously scans the external and the internal, and mixes up
with an elaborate arrangement of emotional resources and socialization
cues so to do more or less the same, achieving viable life courses,
etc.etc. Our own societies are involved in dire prospects and strange
policy navigation towards the adjacent--what? Possible? Impossible?
Disastrous? Inevitable?

The lack of an informational cosmovision is patent. It was already
evident for Ortega y Gasset in the 1930s: /"The confusion on the
terrible public conflicts of the present stems //in good part //from the
incongruence between the perfection of our ideas on physical phenomena
and the painful back-warded state of the 'moral sciences'--//about that,
//both the politician and the physicist are at the very height of the
barber" /(in Revolt of the Masses, 1930s).

Before putting an end, I have found pretty interesting (maybe
converging) recent comments on logics by Joseph, Eric, Plamen...
Unfortunately the "reality" of the life cycle is always maintained
perfectly invisible (or partially entered via some sanitized surrogates).

Thanking your attention,

Best --Pedro

--
Este correo electrónico ha sido analizado en busca de virus por el software antivirus de Avast.
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.avast.com__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!Rf7U94d6MrR4Ofy1SS8jHmdL3Sk4dzXYz3mEwa1TRooeL_p8hLP3KE-qpDIpWVfUvwWzbyGVrXhY54XKy5cAN6FR23qW$