[Fis] Fwd: Re: it from bit. L.K. note of 19/01/2024 at 22:23

joe.brenner at bluewin.ch joe.brenner at bluewin.ch
Sun Jan 21 10:27:29 CET 2024

Dear All,
As suggested in this note as well as others, there are serious problems with the notion of bit itself in relation to information. In my view, information is characterized by three properties that have not been adequately addressed: change: whatever the units of infortmation, they change, as well as change "being" information. Like LK's "chunks", they must display distinguishability, as in some paraconsistent theories (Itala D'Ottaviano) of adjacent members of the real number line. Further, information is characterized by its quality as well as by scalar quantities. I have not seen any algorithmic theory that captures quality, but would of course be glad to know of one.
If my concepts (of which the above is an outrageous summary) are applied, the result would be a naturalization, a bringing into science of what have been intractable and contradictorial properties of information. They will continue to be intractable unless a logic is applied that is not a truth-functional logic of propositions.
>From the point of view of the objective of this discussion, a change (sic) would be required for its further devvelopment, but perhaps some contributors may see a way to do this.
Thank you and best wishes,
Joseph